porroon or parroon shark

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

untilitsleeps

Reaction score
I bought a parroon or porroon shark about a month ago and he's settled in OK, but i cant find any info or pictures of them on the net, does anyone know if there known by a different name or have some pics of one?

he's only small now and i want to see pics of him at his full adult size of 5 feet :D

you are talking about a marine fish here are you? what are you going to do with it when it gets to 5'? I'v never heard of this before but i will see what i can find.

HAVE JUST FOUND SOME INFO

the fish you have is pengasus santaswongsi (spelling :blink: )

these can and have been known to get to 3m in the wild (NOT 5 FEET). these are one of the only fish to rival the piraracu (arapaima gigas). if I were you, I would take it back to were you got it or get saving for the swimming pool sized tank you wil need.

Take a look at the pinned topic titled pangasiidae at the top of this forum, you may want to take ste2k3's advise about taking the fish back, they are not a aquarium fish.

I posted a similar post in the chit chat section, as I've seen them in a few of lfs' going under the name of Dolphin Sharks, and I'm glad I didn't buy one of them.

Have a look at planetcatfish.com for the information about them.

Mj

I have noticed that someone has moved this post from the oddball section to the catfish section - wouldn't this be in the Cyprinids and Characins forum?

No pangasiidae is a group of catfishes, there are also a few other catfish that are called sharks and are not even distantly related to the cyprinid sharks

Thanks for the responses people, the local fish shop i bought him from genuinly have no idea they grow this big, they where told there a new species from the importer therefore had no clue it grew to 9 feet, he will be going back though.

I cant believe people manage to sell these kinds of creatures, check this for shocking :(

http://www.sharktrust.org/cgi/main.asp?newsfirst=151

btw does anyone know the full name of the pangasius catfish, ive bought it thinking it grows to 3.5 feet, if its nay bigger im snookerd :D

Most reactions

Back