Popeye? Coming from just awful scenario

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

metropolis93fan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My sweet Noah came to me blind in the left eye. Pretty sure it's that scales growing over issue. I had him in far less than adequate conditions for about a week. I had to go to my parents' house and the used tank I bought from a kid my mom knows well (and I spent an entire afternoon teaching about proper fish care) turned out to be filthy. It's way too small but for trips home longer than 2 days (max I'll leave him here because I have always had to turn off the filter to feed him because of his sight loss on the left so I don't trust those pyramid feeders) it's better than nothing. Has a filter and heater at least. But it was so filthy it's going to take a LOT of time to make it safe and I had one of my pain flares. So decided to do daily half water changes (in a 4 cup container). It was only for 4 days. Problem was on our way back to my apartment we got rear-ended. He was in a cold car too long and the water was gross when I got out of the ER. (I'm ok... but even worse pain until today). I slowly warmed him with half "tNk" h20 changes with just barely warmer than Luke warm water. I couldn't see until I got him home today that I think he now has popeye. Going to send some pics of both eyes. I THINK he still has some vision in that right eye (pop eye?) But it's definitely not as good. Will go to my neighbor in the morning and ask if she has Epsom salts. I'm unable to drive and it's not easy on my mom because she was hit too. (It's 30 minutes away not in town). I go home Saturday though and make sure I have them then. In tiny town so no delivery from Walmart and the stores in town don't deliver. Miss my wheels! I don't want to buy the antibiotic if I don't have to... I'm on disability and had an unexpected expense this month. Going to be struggling to make it through without loan from Bank of Parents.

Attachments

• 20220421_224559.jpg
    20220421_224559.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220421_224633.jpg
    20220421_224633.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220421_224621.jpg
    20220421_224621.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 43
It's a bit hard to tell due to the colour of the pictures. But the fish is a dragonscale and the thing covering the eye is scales that do cause permanent blindness.

I am more concerned about the colour on the mouth.
How long has it been white for?

White mouth since last night (Got moved on a 30 minute drive and placed in good tank as soon we arrived). Ideally we could just keep him in there and let him de-stress (from my research it's probably stress) but I have to go back to my parents for a full week tomorrow afternoon. Church and then doctors appointments and colonoscopy. He doesn't do well with his sight so I don't trust those pyramid things. (Plus I don't think they have the best nutrition). I've got a "hotel" tank cleaned out to keep him in while there... will use his own water. But sadly, more stress with another move. Plus I did an epsom salt bath as suggested by someone on a Discord channel. More stress, but was hoping to help heal that eye. It's definitely bulging.

The white mouth could be the start of Columnaris and that will kill him if it's not treated. However, it could also be physical damage from being moved.

Monitor the white mouth and if it spreads rapidly over the face and head, then it's Columnaris and he is probably going to die in a few days.

Columnaris will literally spread over his head and face in 24-48 hours so if it doesn't change during the next few days, he should be ok. But if it spreads quickly, he will need anti-biotics or just euthanise him.

Most reactions

Back