Poorly fish and brown water (tannins)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

WillK

Reaction score
I just want to start by saying these two issues are completely unrelated, obviously. Im not sure if i should have started two threads, sorry if i should have. So i have a poorly blue acara. I have 2 of these and have had them for over 6 months now. They have always been fine and the other one continues to be the face of my tank, swimming around actively and showing off his beautiful colours. But unfortunately the other seems to be ill. He has been now for close to a month. Usually in the past i noticed that by the time i realised a fish was ill, it was usually too late and they die within a day or 2. but this one has just been lingering around like its about to die for around 3 weeks at least. Ive not seen him actively eating at feeding times, he just hides in the amazon sword at the back of my tank 24/7. Maybe it eats at night? it must have eaten something to survive a month? along with that explanation and the pics i cant explain it much more. he just floats at the back corner and is COMPLETELY not like him at all.

My next issue is since i added bogwood, my water is going brown and it does this quite quickly, making my water looking different after only 2 or so days after a water change. So right now im doing large water changes every week but after around 5 days it looks pretty bad again. I did a lot of googling and people are saying a million different things, stuff for the filter, additives to the water, just water changes. anyone know the final answer? someone here must have tried everything and can save me doing the same! haha

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Screenshot_11.png
Screenshot_12.png
Screenshot_13.png

The top 2 images are the poorly fish, and the final pic is its sibling/partner haha

My guess is the fish are both males and one is being bullied by the other. The best way to get a pair of cichlids is to buy a group of 6-10 young fish and grow them up together. As they mature pairs will form and can be moved into separate tanks, or you can keep the pair in the main tank and remove the others.

---------------------
Re: driftwood releasing tannins. This is normal and can continue for weeks, months or even years. Any plant matter that sits in water will release tannins (a cup of tea has tea leaves that release tannins). Tannins are not harmful to fish and may reduce bacteria, fungus and viruses in the water. It can also encourage some soft water species to breed.

The easiest way to get rid of tannins is by doing big water changes.

Some people boil driftwood and it can help stop tannins being released. Other people put driftwood in a bucket of water outside and change the water each day. When it no longer releases anything, they put it in the tank.

I think Colin is on he right track. If you had two males, one would become more dominant and potentially harass the other. How big is your tank as its difficult to tell from the photos?

I'm currently soaking some bogwood in a bucket in the garden, waiting for the water to get less brown! Had it take weeks before so either you need to take it out and soak it in a similar way until you're happy with the water colour in the bucket, keep changing water in your tank regularly or just put up with it.

I used to put Tetra blackwater extract in my tank many years ago to get the same effect which used to look quite nice.

Edit: a quick google shows that it is now called Tetra ToruMin.

Water changes and carbon in the filter clear tannins real quick. Be careful with the water changes, if you stir the substrate you'll just get it all dirty.

Bluestacks Kodi Lucky Patcher

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. I seem to have the tannins under control at the minute, but I'm having to do bigger water changes than really nesacerry. lot of work but I'm starting another tank up that is huge, so I'm buying a pump and a big container to do large water changes for all my tanks.

I'm still having the problem with the acaras. I've had to remove the dominant fish and have placed him on the naughty step in a separate box in my big tank. I cant put him in the tank because he will attack the little tetras probably. but the dominant one has been out for a while now. about 2 weeks. and the other acara is still drooping around, dull coloured, not very active. it basically looks like its dying still. so I need to resolve this problem asap as I dont want to keep this fish isolated much longer. what do you think is the best thing to do. I have nobody to give the fish too :( I'm completely stuck.

Try feeding it live brineshrimp or mozzie larvae.
Are there any other fish in the tank that might be bullying it?
Take the subordinate out and put it in another tank and see what happens.

Try feeding it live brineshrimp or mozzie larvae.
Are there any other fish in the tank that might be bullying it?
Take the subordinate out and put it in another tank and see what happens.

I do suppose that makes sense. I'll put the dominant back into the tank, and bring the submissive one into the box. the only nice food I have is frozen bloodworm. will that do?

offer it anything you have and see if it eats. Live adult brineshrimp is available from most pet shops and is ideal for getting fish to eat.

offer it anything you have and see if it eats. Live adult brineshrimp is available from most pet shops and is ideal for getting fish to eat.

ok I'll try the bloodworm and look for some brine shrimp. I think there is only 1 place local to me which does live. very rare around where I live. would frozen do if I cant find live?

you can try frozen (but defrosted) but live is generally better at getting fish to eat.

I can’t get live either and I’m in a large city! Yes, frozen will work.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back