Poorly Betta

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VeryFatbloke

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My Betta, who is in a 240 litre community tank isn't well and I'm not sure how to help him. He was introduced to the tank on 13th July after a very traumatic journey through the post and seemed to settle in well, he was feeding and swimming around the tank quite happily. I introduced some water sprite a couple of weeks ago to help him feel more comfortable. I noticed on Tuesday that he appeared to have some scales missing just below his dorsal fin. He has been swimming in and out of the rocks that I have in the tank and I also noticed that he had swum into the large wood that I have. I've been keeping an eye on him but this morning he doesn't look good, his fins are clamped and he's just sitting underneath the water sprite, as per the second picture. My water stats are good, I did a water test this morning and no ammonia or nitrite, nitrate 5, GH 13 and KH8.

I'm unsure how I should treat him, none of the other fish are showing any signs of illness. His tankmates are cardinals, pentazonas, embers, ottos, corys and a snowball pleco. I'd be grateful for any advice so that I can save him.

20210813_061745.jpg

I’m sorry he’s poorly. I’m still quite a new fish keeper and I have a male Betta, and I am of the opinion that they are best kept alone (This always brings about a debate - sorry).

Can you move him to a smaller container with some water from your existing tank and the floating plants for an emergency ‘fix’? Your water parameters are good, so he may be stressed by the other fish and exhausted from patrolling/defending himself.

The red area around the missing scale on his back points to a bacterial infection. This can be treated with aquarium salt at the rate of 1 tablespoon per 5 US gallons (20 litres). If no improvement within a couple of days, update the photo and post.

Identify and remove any decor that could be causing the injuries.

Thanks all. I've set up an emergency 30 litre tank, which has water from the community tank, the floating plants, one of the coconut shells and a sponge from the existing internal filter. The tank didn't have a heater so I've added one and currently running at 26 deg c. I've also added aquarium salt and will monitor his progress.

Bettas prefer solitude as they're extremely territorial, even if they don't exhibit signs of aggression they most probably would be stressed. When fish stress their immune systems take the brunt which unfortunately leaves them vulnerable to all sorts of things that they'd otherwise be able to shake off no problem. Make sure his water is super clean and give him plenty of plants to hide in, you may see some improvement

Ok, so Leaky is still with us. As mentioned above he's in a new 30 litre tank on his own. I've ordered a stand for the tank, the tank is currently on the dining table, a heater suitable for the tank, some sand and ordered some more plants. He looks brighter and has been swimming around his new home. I'll continue to monitor him and let you all know how he gets on.

20210815_140315.jpg
20210815_175324.jpg

Ok, so Leaky is still with us. As mentioned above he's in a new 30 litre tank on his own. I've ordered a stand for the tank, the tank is currently on the dining table, a heater suitable for the tank, some sand and ordered some more plants. He looks brighter and has been swimming around his new home. I'll continue to monitor him and let you all know how he gets on.

View attachment 141543View attachment 141544
The sooner you get some substrate, the better.
You don't want him unnecessarily burning calories and getting stressed, every time he sees himself.

(A pet peeve of mine is that these fish are too often stored in shops in little glass boxes, immediately adjacent to another male. This is to encourage them to 'flare' and to look attractive to the paying customers. Even allegedly responsible Betta keepers do this, seemingly oblivious to the actual stress it causes the fish.
Cockfighting, bear-baiting, dog-fighting and Siamese Fighting Fish fighting...all activities that all need to be consigned to our barbaric history).

The recovery continues. Leaky's tank has now been moved to my son's bedroom. The substrate and plants have been added and he appears to be doing well, we'll still be keeping a close eye on him to make sure that he continues to recover but so far so good.

239205524_1147183419140988_3982128271201804644_n.jpg239231563_365702501879112_8226078063552537835_n.jpg239395104_201157051993881_6782861436852065390_n.jpg239458455_136644605308547_4354815072484021366_n.jpg

The sooner you get some substrate, the better.
You don't want him unnecessarily burning calories and getting stressed, every time he sees himself.

(A pet peeve of mine is that these fish are too often stored in shops in little glass boxes, immediately adjacent to another male. This is to encourage them to 'flare' and to look attractive to the paying customers. Even allegedly responsible Betta keepers do this, seemingly oblivious to the actual stress it causes the fish.
Cockfighting, bear-baiting, dog-fighting and Siamese Fighting Fish fighting...all activities that all need to be consigned to our barbaric history).
He actually doesn't see him self, those reflections are just for our benefit

He actually doesn't see him self, those reflections are just for our benefit
Can I clarify this point please? When you say he doesn’t see himself, do you mean he doesn’t recognise the reflection as being him/his reflection..? My Betta will flare at his reflection in a mirror and I understand that that is because he thinks it’s another male. Surely you’d get the same response if the fish saw any reflection..?

Can I clarify this point please? When you say he doesn’t see himself, do you mean he doesn’t recognise the reflection as being him/his reflection..? My Betta will flare at his reflection in a mirror and I understand that that is because he thinks it’s another male. Surely you’d get the same response if the fish saw any reflection..?
In a mirror that is true. In a tank where you see his reflection in the base of the tank he doesn't see that ,the same as if you look through the front of the tank to the side of the tank the fish don't see those reflections either. Those reflections are created by a piece of glass being at right angles to another piece of glass.

Sorry to say but Leaky passed away this evening. My son was in the middle of doing a water test when Leaky suddenly became very active and then just fell to the bottom of the tank. Yesterday's test and the one my son was doing this evening both showed a trace of ammonia and nitrite. I wonder whether he never fully recovered from his journey here then the stress of moving him from the community to the uncycled emergency tank and then moving him again into his new location, same tank, was too much for him.

Really gutted to see him suffer and pass away. Although my son has previous experience keeping Bettas it was my first experience.

RIP Leaky.

Sorry to say but Leaky passed away this evening. My son was in the middle of doing a water test when Leaky suddenly became very active and then just fell to the bottom of the tank. Yesterday's test and the one my son was doing this evening both showed a trace of ammonia and nitrite. I wonder whether he never fully recovered from his journey here then the stress of moving him from the community to the uncycled emergency tank and then moving him again into his new location, same tank, was too much for him.

Really gutted to see him suffer and pass away. Although my son has previous experience keeping Bettas it was my first experience.

RIP Leaky.
Sad to hear and the thing that leaps out at me (again) is that you had ammonia AND nitrite in the tank. This would not have occurred in a properly maintanined and cycled tank.

Most reactions

trending

Back