Pond snail invasion 10g

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Zackwolfe

Reaction score
So I have a 10 gallon tank and it has become totally overrun by little pond snails. At first i was like oh cool free snails (having no idea) but now they are everywhere. Mainly lining the top of the water level. Is there a fish or snail that will help take care of this issue? I have 2 assassin snails but after 2 days they stopped eating the pond snails. I have heard loaches but with the 10 gallon it is just too small. Suggestions?

I have 2 assassin snails but after 2 days they stopped eating the pond snails.
They're full!

Id just hire more assassins ;)
Yep! I think that's the answer. I also find that pond snails can get out of control if a tank is overfed. So keep a close eye on your feeding and how much the fish are leaving behind.

Pick the snails out by hand or with a net.

Do not add fish or more snails to deal with the problem.

Agree. Assasin snails are illegal in some states if memory serves me because they can get into the local ecosystem and decimate the native species that are part of a healthy system.

Pond snails will reproduce according to their food supply. Remember that snails eat all dead organic matter, including fish excrement. This is useful as it breaks it down faster for the bacteria to deal with, and it keeps the tank much cleaner than you ever could. Don't overstock the tank (this will increase the snails), don't overfeed (same again), don't leave dead plant matter lying about (more food again).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back