Polypterus Senegalus

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fishista

Reaction score
I recently bought what was reffered to as a dragon fish in the petstore and I later found out to be a polypterus senegalus. I was not properly informed about them from the salesman. Currently it is only 6 inches, and I'm wondering how much more it will grow, also if I am only keeping him in a 30 gallon tank with 4 other fish will he out grow it?

8-9" is the average adult size, and 30G is usually the minimum suggested tanksize, (although personally I would go bigger due to how active they are)

What other fish do you have with it?

8-9" is the average adult size, and 30G is usually the minimum suggested tanksize, (although personally I would go bigger due to how active they are)

What other fish do you have with it?

I have 3 Gourami...they are not getting along well with each other, but they do leave the poly alone. Also theres a panda cory in there, the poly doesn't even notice him though..

Not sure how big 30G is (metric please)
I've had mine 5 years, seems to have stopped growing at about 9 inches ( looking around my research says be prepared to look after him for many years!)
They need air acess, so size of tank is not always clear if it's suitable, if it's very deep but not very long/wide it's not ideal
Mine ignores all other fish that are larger than its mouth but will eat anything smaller (despite seeming quite docile - or even stupid, they are fantastic hunters when the lights go out)
D

Hi.
50gallons is minimum for an adult Senegalus.
They don't grow huge, but are open water swimmers (unlike most Bichirs) and they are very active.
They need plenty of space to swim around and burn off the large amount of food they SHOULD be eating.

Without burning this fat off, Senegalus in particular are VERY prone to getting "Bloat" which is the number one killer for Sens.

Good luck!

I had 4 of these in my 30 gallon tank.. along with 2 dragon gobies ( Violet gobies)...There grow fairly slow so you will have time to save up for a bigger tank. I realized this was impossible to keep in a 30g so went out and got a 55 gallon tank. By the time they are bigger I will probably move up tank sizes again. I have had them for about 2-3 months and my biggest one is just over 4 inches maybe..

And yes, in captivity they will probably grow around 8 or 9 inches

I had 4 of these in my 30 gallon tank.. along with 2 dragon gobies ( Violet gobies)...There grow fairly slow so you will have time to save up for a bigger tank. I realized this was impossible to keep in a 30g so went out and got a 55 gallon tank. By the time they are bigger I will probably move up tank sizes again. I have had them for about 2-3 months and my biggest one is just over 4 inches maybe..

They most likely grew slow because their small surroundings.
Senegalus are very active swimmers, and burn their fat off very quickly.

When in small housing, they tend to be less active and eat less.

My two dominate my 75 gallon My wifes parrots teh 3 plecos and the jack dempsy that is almost as long as they are avoid any and all confrontation with them. Just to give ya an idea of hunting prowess I hadded 24 feeder guppys to the tank sunday afternoon. The dempsy and each parrot took one before the lights went out. By mornign there were 0 feeder guppys. I do this for em once every few weeks just to let them hunt predetors should have the opportunity imho.

They grow slowly? Someone forgot to tell mine that then :lol:

My Senegalus is around 9" now, and I've had him less than a year. He has grown very quickly, eats a hell of a lot, and is very active.

30g in my opinion is far too small for this fish. Bigger is always better.

Senegalus are the most active bichir, so even though they don't get very big, they need a good amount of swimming room.

I'd also consider moving the Panda as he may become lunch.

i had a senegal once that grew to 18" :D he lived happily for many years with my driftwood catfish until the tank heater broke and they both sadly met their maker :'(

i had a senegal once that grew to 18" :D he lived happily for many years with my driftwood catfish until the tank heater broke and they both sadly met their maker :'(

Let me guess, you have no pictures of said fish right?

... Thought not.
You didn't have an 18" Senegalus. End of.

maybe it wasnt a senegal then, but it looked very much like one. it was deffinately 18" as my dad measured it when it died, wasnt really in to taken photos of my fish when i was 12 :/wish i had though

My Senegal was in a 60 gall and nearly 11" when it died. To say active would be an understatement mine was all over the tank all the time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back