Polypterus Delhezi

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Hunterprey

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just spotted a few juvenile Delhezi @ my LFS. About 2.5 inches and thin, Im wondering how fast do they grow. Like how many months before it grows an inch? At what size does it slow down? and at what size does it start developing its girth? Also how active are they compared to Palmas polli or Senegal? My Palmas polli is surprisingly very active

My Palmas polli is almost 7 inches and getting thicker, must be the Hikari massivore and bloodworms. Might have to change her diet a little to slow down her growth a little. I have a spare 20 gallon as a grow out tank just in case. The ones I saw @ my LFS are so tiny, theyre like a noodle, so dont want to risk adding them right away.

Im still undecided about getting the Delhezi, since Im quite happy with my 2 Polys and might just wait for a Spiny eel instead. Although info about Delhezi will come in handy for future reference. THanks!

Delhezi are quite fast growers, and very active.

No need to slow the growth of your Polli down though!

Ok Thnx Gasmask.

When I said slow down her growth, I meant reverting back to her old diet which is shrimp pellets, shrimp and krill meal, algae wafer, bloodworms...it just seems that Hikari massivore kinda boost her growth, so I think I shouldnt give her too much of that. I wouldnt do something unhealthy to her since she's my favourite fish right now.

Its just that there are fish in the tank that still needs to catch up to her growth rate, such as the Black Diamond Cichlid, Black Ghost Knife...Come to think of it my BGK grew an inch in just over a month cause i try to feed my BGK more often than the others. My Palmas grew an inch in 3-4 months time I believe, so I guess my BGK is doing good in the growth department. But my BGK is still only 5 inches and Black Diamond Cichlid is about 3 inches, getting pretty thick tho.

I'll go have a look @ the Delhezis again when I go back @ my LFS

Massive as a staple is great for bichirs.
Add other foods to it for the perfect diet.
Getting them to a big size is a good thing.
Poll is and Senegals are VERY docile, the will not hurt smaller fish.
The odd territorial nip might happen, but really nothing to worry about.

Glad to know that. Yeah I noticed theyre quite docile. I should keep giving them the Massivore then as a staple, I love feeding them with those cause they seem to really love it. I shouldnt worry myself too much then...Thnx Gas :good:

How about the Delhezi? Im thinking theyre not as Docile, I saw a video not too long ago of a Delhezi with a Pictus in its mouth :crazy:

Glad to know that. Yeah I noticed theyre quite docile. I should keep giving them the Massivore then as a staple, I love feeding them with those cause they seem to really love it. I shouldnt worry myself too much then...Thnx Gas :good:

How about the Delhezi? Im thinking theyre not as Docile, I saw a video not too long ago of a Delhezi with a Pictus in its mouth :crazy:

Nah, Delhezi are pretty docile too.

I think it's time you moved up to some lower jaws?

Thanks. Im gonna look into some Lower Jaws. But so far the one I like among the Lower jaws is the Endlicheri Endlicheri. But Endli just get too big even for my 6 foot tank :lol: grows 3 feet according to my googling. I might upgrade to 180 gallon eventually but might still be too small for a 3 foot poly :/ even with their flexibility. The biggest I'll put in my tank is an Oscar or a 2 feet very flexible eel-like fish.

There might be some smaller Lower Jaws that might interest me in the future. I never thought I would like the Palmas just by looking at pictures and videos, its when I saw it up close @ my LFS that made me like it.

Nah my 64cm Endlicheri is about as big as you will ever find.
Even that is big for it being wild.

If you get a captive bred Endlicheri, it would be VERY lucky to reach over 16".

OK 16 inches isnt bad at all. Great to know that, I thought it gets like 3 feet thats why I never bothered...now just have to find one :lol: I hope I dont get a Congicus by accident cause I cant tell the difference yet.

So Im guessing Ornates dont really normally get 2 feet then? I cant add Ornate anyway cause I heard they can be quite aggressive.

Cheers

OK 16 inches isnt bad at all. Great to know that, I thought it gets like 3 feet thats why I never bothered...now just have to find one :lol: I hope I dont get a Congicus by accident cause I cant tell the difference yet.

So Im guessing Ornates dont really normally get 2 feet then? I cant add Ornate anyway cause I heard they can be quite aggressive.

Cheers

20" would be a more realistic max size for an Ornate.
But they never get the sheer bulk of Endlicheri.

Finally got the Delhezi. Its smaller than I thought, cant add to my bigger tank yet, cuz prolly just end up as a snack. I think the Delhezi is around 2 1/4 inches. Have to stay in my empty 20 gallon for now, she looks kinda lonely in there by herself tho :/ but the tank's sitting beside the bigger one...hope that helps. Cute little fella tho :lol:

ZDeLs.jpg

ZDeLs2.jpg

ZDeLs1.jpg

Thanks! I love my baby Delhezi :lol: she looks lonely tho in the tank by herself and keeps looking @ the bigger tank and watching the other Polys swimming around. Cant wait to add her with rest of the Polys, Im glad theyre fast growers.

Got a better shot after borrowing my mom's camera. I think she got little bigger.

DSC01005.jpg

DSC01001.jpg

DSC00998.jpg

Hi.
Cute Delhezi.

Needs some substrate though.
Many people don't realize, that one of the Polypterus most important behaviors is to did and bury itself when it wants to ambush something, but also when it feels threatened or nervous.
They need to be able to do this at a young age.

Also it will bring out the colors of the Bichir much more.
For Delhezi I recommend black sand.

Most reactions

Back