Plumbing Ro Unit

lgarvey

Fish Crazy
Joined
Mar 7, 2008
Messages
266
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Manchester, UK
Hi Guys,

I'm going to get hold of an RO unit and wonder whether it would fit where the washing machine is plumbed in? Are there connectors to T off the plastic cold water hose that goes into the washing machine? I assume that there'll be a waste outlet too that I can plug into.

The issue is that I live in an appartment and everything is space saving, so I'd need to ensure that the RO unit can definitely go in that space. I'm ordering a slimline water butt too that will fit perfectly in the avaialble space. I hope to put the RO unit on the water butt, connect an auto shut off device and just let it run once a week for my water change. I'll then have a powerhead and a long piipe to get the fresh water to the tank.

If anyone forsees issues with doing it this way, please let me know. =)

Also what's the typical output of an RO unit? How quickly could I generate say 80 litres of water?

L
 
My experience with RO units is that they are rated in volume per day. Most seem to produce only about half as much water as the ratings because of the idealistic conditions that are used to give the ratings. The real world is not that ideal. If you have an RO rated to produce 400 litres per day, it might give 200 per day in the real world. If you divide by 24 hours you can get an hourly rate of production of less than 10 litres an hour. That makes accumulating 80 litres into an all day process. I installed the storage tank that came with my RO so, when I am getting ready for a water change with RO, I fill several large buckets from the storage tank for a couple of days before the change. When it is time to actually do my water change I use up the water that I have stored. My RO was designed to be used for drinking water so it has a 3 gallon reservoir tank designed into it.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top