plecostomus question and amano feeding

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi
i have a beautiful fantail goldfish 4-5” long including tail. plecostomus about the same size. can they be in a 20 gallon by themselves? right now pleco is in guppy tank with another pleco same size, 4 cory fish and probably 18 guppies. overcrowded. will ask petco to take some more. goldfish substrate is marbles.
amano shrimp feeding- i take out each day the pieces of sinking pellets that have crumbled and add a couple more pieces of algae wafers. the wafers are the size of US dime so i break into 2 small pieces. they have good appetite i think. i see them eating. am i over or under feeding or leaving crumbled wafers into long. the wafers are made by the same place from which i bought the shrimp. Aquaticarts. thanks.

the fantail and pleco should be ok together

if there is left over food in the tank, then remove it and don't feed again until the following day.

the fantail and pleco should be ok together

if there is left over food in the tank, then remove it and don't feed again until the following day.
thank you. i break the algae wafers into 4 pieces and break a 4th of the wafer in half for the amanos. so they get 1/8 of a dime size wafer. if mini amount of crumbs are left- do you think i’m feeding the 7 amonos properly?

(I may be completely misreading/misinterpreting the question, so please disregard if this doesn't apply!)

What species of pleco? Like Slaphppy said, plecs are infamous for their mammoth poops as well as their grand eating habits, but larger species like the sailfin plec, common plecs, e.c.t. will naturally bring a greater bio-load.

Be aware that plecos prefer tropical temperatures (~22c - 26c) whereas goldfish are subtropical. Cooler water will slow down the metabolism of the plec and warmer water will speed up the metabolism of the goldfish. Ideally, you shouldn't have tropical fish in the same tank as a subtropical/coldwater fish but it can be done under non-ideal conditions. Of course, be mindful of the fact that common and sailfin plecs will grow to the size of a double-decker bus, same thing with fantails; like those pills you put in water and they turn into dinosaurs. Or so some people would have you believe.

...In all seriousness though, both fish will get pretty big and likely outgrow the tank within 6 months or so, so an upgrade will be necessary at some point.

As far as the substrate goes, marbles are fine, but it may be difficult to syphon the tank (massive, stringy plec poop and goldfish poop that would require syphoning to keep ammonia down), so keep that in mind if you want to house both of those fish together.

there shouldn't be any left over food
oh ok. thanks- i am over feeding. good thing i asked the question. 🙂
(I may be completely misreading/misinterpreting the question, so please disregard if this doesn't apply!)

What species of pleco? Like Slaphppy said, plecs are infamous for their mammoth poops as well as their grand eating habits, but larger species like the sailfin plec, common plecs, e.c.t. will naturally bring a greater bio-load.

Be aware that plecos prefer tropical temperatures (~22c - 26c) whereas goldfish are subtropical. Cooler water will slow down the metabolism of the plec and warmer water will speed up the metabolism of the goldfish. Ideally, you shouldn't have tropical fish in the same tank as a subtropical/coldwater fish but it can be done under non-ideal conditions. Of course, be mindful of the fact that common and sailfin plecs will grow to the size of a double-decker bus, same thing with fantails; like those pills you put in water and they turn into dinosaurs. Or so some people would have you believe.

...In all seriousness though, both fish will get pretty big and likely outgrow the tank within 6 months or so, so an upgrade will be necessary at some point.

As far as the substrate goes, marbles are fine, but it may be difficult to syphon the tank (massive, stringy plec poop and goldfish poop that would require syphoning to keep ammonia down), so keep that in mind if you want to house both of those fish together.
my plecos are albino although one is the same color as albino, but has black eyes. 🤷‍♀️
i realize the temp difference. i have upgraded my goldfish because of its size - so maybe 2 giant fish wouldn’t be good. i wish i lived near a fish enthusiast. i would like to have less guppies. petco can only handle donations of mt fish

oh ok. thanks- i am over feeding. good thing i asked the question. 🙂

my plecos are albino although one is the same color as albino, but has black eyes. 🤷‍♀️
i realize the temp difference. i have upgraded my goldfish because of its size - so maybe 2 giant fish wouldn’t be good. i wish i lived near a fish enthusiast. i would like to have less guppies. petco can only handle donations of mt fish
my fish once in awhile. i have a new underwater filter and added a sponge filter last week. but the problem is just too many fish. ….sigh😕

can you post a picture of the pleco so we can identify it?

at the very least, the goldfish and pleco? will be fine for a few months in the 20g tank. That will give you some time to sort out the guppies and maybe find a bigger tank for the goldfish and pleco.

can you post a picture of the pleco so we can identify it?

at the very least, the goldfish and pleco? will be fine for a few months in the 20g tank. That will give you some time to sort out the guppies and maybe find a bigger tank for the goldfish and pleco.

Alright, but what species are they? Send photos if you don't know and I can try to ID.
thanks for your replies.
here are my plecos- one has red eyes, one has black but other than that look same.
and my pretty goldfish. she’s in a 20 gallon- no one else in there.

Attachments

• 372F1F80-94AF-411A-A7BD-235EE9E1DB86.jpeg
    372F1F80-94AF-411A-A7BD-235EE9E1DB86.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 5C4F0BEE-532A-4537-9AD3-D171E3A8CBE8.jpeg
    5C4F0BEE-532A-4537-9AD3-D171E3A8CBE8.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 7EE454D8-B84F-41B7-9B23-B4DB2559B7B9.jpeg
    7EE454D8-B84F-41B7-9B23-B4DB2559B7B9.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 434338F5-488B-4CF6-AB85-2E93552FA3DA.jpeg
    434338F5-488B-4CF6-AB85-2E93552FA3DA.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 23
another oic of goldfish. i call her my Disney fish because she reminds me of the fish in the Fantasia movie.

sorry- don’t think i sent it properly first time

Attachments

• D6A3A4AF-5163-4AB3-A9F2-2AF39F1806B2.jpeg
    D6A3A4AF-5163-4AB3-A9F2-2AF39F1806B2.jpeg
    179.6 KB · Views: 19

Most reactions

Back