Plecostamus

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

fish-gambler

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Greets

I've had my tank for a few weeks now and I simply cannot keep the Plecostamus alive.

I have other catfish that are doing fine. Can some-one please give me some tips on keeping them alive (I've killed five of them already :-( )
Thanks
Max

welcome fish gambler, you have come to the right place for help. I recomend that you post your pleco issue in tropical fish emergencies and give specifics as to water params. ie: ph, ammonia, nitrate and nitrite, also temp. would be good

Hey gambler!

Hmm... of all the fish I've had, I've found them to be the easiest to keep... is he getting enough food maybe? If there's not enough algae, best to feed him some cookies :)
I actually wonder if there's a difference in heartiness between breeds. The common plecos seems to be the most heartiest, but I've heard the bristlenosed guys are a little more fussy.

Which kind of pleco do you have? How old is it?

And welcome, by the way! :)

Hi,

Thanks for the welcome. I think there is a food shortage. Just tried some blanched lettuce.

I have no clue what pleco I have, know of good site where I can take a look. :S

Thanks

http://fish.orbust.net/fishpictures.html
i am thinking about a fish i just got also so far i found this forum and some nice catalogue with pictures incidentilly if anyone recognises the picture in my aviator let me know what im adoring. its just a little older than a fry and i recon he is gonna clean the sides of my tank for a long time i just gotta work out who he/she (oops) is.

The fish you have jamndog is either a otto or a siamese algae eater, probably a siamese algae eater! They do a good job on algae but have a tendancy to try and suck the slim coat of fish too so be careful!!

:hi: !

:huh: :eek: ;) :p :D :) B) :rolleyes: :lol: thanks will ive been looking all over and i think ive accidentilly become hooked on the forum here heh i think i will try and get a better pic of it when he grows a bit bigger.

also thanks for the welcome
pps : np

My pleco looks alot like the Bristle Nose / Ancistrus Pleco but with more mottled markings (and no discernable bristles on the nose). It's still tiny, about 4cm in length.

I'm going to try some blanched zucchini hopefully the other fish don't chomp it before it reaches the bottom.

Thanks 4 pointing me to the great information.

fish-gambler said:
I have no clue what pleco I have, know of good site where I can take a look. :S
Actually no! Unbelievably, there isn't many good plecostomus favouring sites on the net that I've been able to find! :/ I don't know why... there are ones on just about every other fish, and even catfishes, but not plecostomuses...
If I ever do find one, I'll let you know! If I had enough information about it, I'd probably make up my own website, honestly. So many people are pleco owners... and there are so many different kinds of plecos!

I hope someone on this site might be able to suggest something!

By the way, how did the lettuce work? Blanched zucchini didn't phase my pleco sadly :( but he's in his new home now (33 gallon aquarium I just got) so at least he has more room to move around... maybe he'll eat more. I was told that the bigger they get, the less they eat.

Bye!

Jamnog said:
http://fish.orbust.net/fishpictures.html
i am thinking about a fish i just got also so far i found this forum and some nice catalogue with pictures incidentilly if anyone recognises the picture in my aviator let me know what im adoring. its just a little older than a fry and i recon he is gonna clean the sides of my tank for a long time i just gotta work out who he/she (oops) is.
Thanks for the link, Jamnog... I wish I could see better what that fish is (a larger pic)... I haven't got a clue, though it does look as if it might be something I've seen before.
It ALMOST looks like an algae eater, but that's not it, is it?

Hi,

The blanched lettuce has been devoured but I don't know by which fish, the tetras & my paradise fish ate quite a bit of it...so maybe my poor pleco missed out. Will try the zuccini tomorrow.

it was an alge eater a siamese one. im thinking of getting some fighting fish again maybee a second tank..

Most reactions

Back