Plecos In A 10 Gallon

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

hy3gons

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I currently have a ten gallon tank with three adult male guppies in it. I've had the tank set up with fish for about two months now and it is starting to grow a large amount of algae. I was wondering if adding a type of dwarf pleco would be a good idea. I've read that the smaller ones (Otocinclus spp?) need to be kept in groups of five or six, and I'm not sure if that many fish would work in a small tank.

I would like to add a pleco to the tank to help with algae, but in case that's a bad idea, what would be the next best way to deal with algae?

Cleaning it yourself, finding the root cause, nerite snails, Amano shrimp.... All better solutions, iMo

I agree.  We tend to forget that adding fish to any aquarium means more organics, and in a small tank like a 10g, this can add up quickly.  And the organics of course will feed the algae, so the problem will be exacerbated, not resolved.

Algae is caused by organics/nutrients and light.  Being perfectly natural, it will appear in any healthy aquarium.  In newer tanks it is more prevalent because the bilogy has not yet settled down.  Once this occurs, it is easier to keep algae under control (but we can never eliminate it) by reducing the light and/or organics/nutrients.

Byron.

eaglesaquarium said:
Cleaning it yourself, finding the root cause, nerite snails, Amano shrimp.... All better solutions, iMo

Byron said:
I agree.  We tend to forget that adding fish to any aquarium means more organics, and in a small tank like a 10g, this can add up quickly.  And the organics of course will feed the algae, so the problem will be exacerbated, not resolved.

Algae is caused by organics/nutrients and light.  Being perfectly natural, it will appear in any healthy aquarium.  In newer tanks it is more prevalent because the bilogy has not yet settled down.  Once this occurs, it is easier to keep algae under control (but we can never eliminate it) by reducing the light and/or organics/nutrients.

Byron.
Thank you! I had a feeling this would be the case by wasn't sure. Thought this would be a good place to check. Thank you again!

Its too small for plecs but I would certainly keep some otocinculus in there. They are nice fish and wouldnt add a lot to the bio load.

Algae generally indicates excess nutrients in the water; water change and check your lights aren't on excessively. Limit your feeding.

You can fix the symptoms (adding fish that clean algae) but fixing the root of the problem should be a better long term result :)

You can try to murder your algae by completely covering your tank from light for 2-3 days, which will help clear some of it out.

Having said that, there are numerous fish and shrimp you can add to increase your enjoyment of the tank - you can look at small shrimp colonies like cherry shrimp or amano shrimp, and nano fish like microrasbora, bumblebee goby and the marble hatchetfish (though the tank must be covered to accomodate these gorgeous fishies).

Good luck :)

MattTHEFISHMANROOKIE said:
If its gravel problems,than I recommend corydoras.

Corydoras are not algae eaters...

And I'd add that corys on gravel isn't a very good option.  Sand is the preferred substrate for cories.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back