Pleco rescue

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

fishyjessie

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i rescued a 6 inch pleco. he was living in a vase at my aunts house :huh: and she offered to gice him to me. i said YES! :nod: , so she proceded to *warning this will make you cringe or scream or both :crazy: * pull out a tupperware and fill it with cold tap water :no: . then she drainged ALL the water out of the vase and floped the fish into the tupperware :sad: . we left as quick as possible and i put the poor guy in my 55 gallon. when i took the first look at him, he was light yellow with spots. yesterday i looked, and he is now almost all black, and his spots are blacker. is this normal? :thumbs: is he getting happy again? the tank is a darker natural setting, is he changing for the tank? ive neaver heard of anything like this!! im just glad he is safe now :look:

Not 100% on this subject, but I noticed that my Bristlenose plecos change colour
from light brown to dark brown, I just put it done to being normal, and they seem fine-(had them for a while now)

fishyjessie said:
i rescued a 6 inch pleco. he was living in a vase at my aunts house :huh: and she offered to gice him to me. i said YES! :nod: , so she proceded to *warning this will make you cringe or scream or both :crazy: * pull out a tupperware and fill it with cold tap water :no: . then she drainged ALL the water out of the vase and floped the fish into the tupperware :sad: . we left as quick as possible and i put the poor guy in my 55 gallon. when i took the first look at him, he was light yellow with spots. yesterday i looked, and he is now almost all black, and his spots are blacker. is this normal? :thumbs: is he getting happy again? the tank is a darker natural setting, is he changing for the tank? ive neaver heard of anything like this!! im just glad he is safe now :look:
Your aunt needs a lesson in fish welfare! Anyway..........my pleco gets light when unhappy (bad water conditions, shock, etc...) so now that he is darker I would say that he is getting better. Keep an eye on him and get him some algae wafers, see if he eats them. Keep an eye out on his eyes to make sure that they are not sunk in. If his eyes sink in you are in a lot of trouble..........if they do that make sure to do a water change (you are doing that periodically anyway, right? :D ) and monitor ammonia levels and water quality............hope this helps. :nod:

Jessie,
In my opinion if he is getting darker then he is getting better. Plecostomus are normal dark,,,,I think they only really lighten up is when they are stressed.
Signed,
Sondan

Most reactions

Back