Pleco and fruit?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So far the only luck I've had with veggies is spinach, zucchini, yellow squash, and sweet potato but only AFTER I boiled it for a few minutes and let it cool. She seems to have an interest in cucumber and celery, but after I read these are not very nutritional I chose to not use them. I read that BN's will also eat fruit but I haven't found a reliable source on what fruits are safe for them to eat and for other fish. I'm afraid if I get fruit high in natural sugars it might harm my fish, or too acidic that it will hurt their digestive system. The only fruit I've safely used is a small bit of banana slice that was devoured in under an hour.

Does anyone have suggestions for safe and nutritional fruit I could offer her? As well as advice on how to prepare it if I can't feed it raw?

I feed mine

Water Melon/ rind
Avocado
Coconut
Grapes
Kiwi Fruit
Mango
Papaya
cantaloupe
sweet potato Not a fruit but he love's it.
Apples
Pears.

No acidy stuff like citrus.

She seems to have an interest in cucumber and celery

cucumber and celery are like eating water.....they have zero nutritional value,

a lot of supermodels will eat celery and cucumber all day long because it keeps them full but doesn't make them gain any weight because its zero calories, if anything it will make them lose weight

cucumber and celery are like eating water.....they have zero nutritional value,

a lot of supermodels will eat celery and cucumber all day long because it keeps them full but doesn't make them gain any weight because its zero calories, if anything it will make them lose weight
If you read my entire post, you'd have read that I found out they lack nutritional value and have stopped feeding them to her. I stopped weeks ago.

If you have advice on good fruits I can feed her and how to prepare them I'd be grateful.

I feed mine

Water Melon/ rind
Avocado
Coconut
Grapes
Kiwi Fruit
Mango
Papaya
cantaloupe
sweet potato Not a fruit but he love's it.
Apples
Pears.

No acidy stuff like citrus.
I've read on other forums that folks have fed their plecos melons and cantaloupe, but I've found these to be sort of slimey on the few occasions I was forced to eat them. Will this foul my water or bother my fish? Also, do you feed in small chunks or do you slightly hollow it down closer to the rind so that there is a thin layer for your pleco to eat?

I found out they lack nutritional value and have stopped feeding them to her. I stopped weeks ago.
Why? Bn's love it and its a good source of fiber

I hollow it almost down to the rind, when feeding you only need a bit about the size of your thumb nail.

Why? Bn's love it and its a good source of fiber

I hollow it almost down to the rind, when feeding you only need a bit about the size of your thumb nail.
I've read that celery has little nutritional value on other forums, but she LOVES the stuff. I was afraid she was spending hours feeding on something that did little for her.

The store I work at sells cantaloupe and watermelon chunks in seperate containers, so I'll give melon a go!

but she LOVES the stuff. I was afraid she was spending hours feeding on something that did little for her.

I wouldn't worry too much.
Heres how I feed my guy.

In the morning he gets a pellet, It may be just Algae or it might be a carnivore pellet or it might be a veggie stick ( Kens veggie sticks are great ). He actually waits for me at feeding time, If you feed around the same time every day she will quickly figure it out.

Around 5 PM I pop some veggie or fruit into the tank and it remains there till lights out.

Most reactions

trending

Back