Please Id This Shrimp!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

rockythebetta

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So I want to start by apologizing to the other post that I put this under. I'm still finding my way around this site!

I bought some ghost shrimp, and this guy was in the mix. Any idea what it is? 
photo (4).JPG

thats an adult(very mature) ghost shrimp from the looks of it, but its not the breed that usually comes from pet stores

Any idea what breed it is? I don't want it to destroy my plants or kill my fish, and I know there are ghost shrimp look-a-likes that will do that.

Also, I should add that his body is very straight. He doesn't have an angled back like you usually see. 

its probally a african ghost shrimp, my suggestion, keep it in a different tank til it dies. better for your plants and other fish

Do you have a picture of it from the side?

It almost looks like an amano shrimp from that view but a picture of him in the light from the side will help determine better. It has an irregular better shape compared to ghost shrimp imo.

Looks Luke an amano shrimp

I agree it looks like a very stressed amano shrimp. If you can get some other side photos of it to help us identify that would help a lot.

Amano's generally are plant and fish safe, they were originally introduced into the fish keeping hobby for their habit of eating algeas off plants. They also do not sucessfully breed in fresh water as the larval young need brackish conditions at set stages of their development before returning to fresh water as sub/ adults.

I looked up some images of the amano shrimp to compare the sides (had trouble getting a clear shot of the one I have). I think y'all are right. 

Should I feed him algae pellets after transferring him to the larger tank? Or just let him do his thing? He's currently the only algae eater I have, so a whole pellet seems a bit much. 

You can break up algae pieces or you can try feeding zucchini, although a flake diet or whatever pellets you are feeding now should keep him at least fed.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back