Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Please Help

Discussion in 'New to the Hobby Questions and Answers' started by gobannanas, Aug 31, 2012.

1. gobannanas

gobannanas Member

Hi, I set up a new 19l tank 3 weeks ago. I let the tank run for three days and then stupidly added safestart ('live bacteria') and 3 harlequin rasboras, after being told it would be fine. The fish died overnight so I took them out.
    Since they died I left the tank running and done a lot of research of cycling. I tested the water, which was 1.5 ppm from the fish. I left it for two weeks at about 2ppm and then decided to turn the temp up to 32 degrees and added 0.5 ml of 9.5% ammonia. It has been three days since adding the ammonia which is at 6-7 ppm (was aiming for 5ppm) and no nitrites.
    Can someone help me out and reccomend what to do. Do I need to do a water change?
    Also, a lfs sell mature filter media at 1p each (ceramic rings) but I have a sponge filter, could I attach them to the outside of the filter and the bacteria would transfer? Thank you. :) p.s there is also a bit of algae building up around the filter and gravel, also can I add plants now some places say wait and some say it's ok?

2. mike455555

mike455555 i need to stop buying plants....

id say leave it but buy a couple a ceramic rings and cut a little off the filter sponge or if you can ask for a sponge media... the bacteria will get in there eventually :good:

3. Ps3Steveo

Ps3Steveo Planted Experimentalist

You can add plants from the word go, do you know anyone that has a tank that you can get some mature sponge media from?

4. gobannanas

gobannanas Member

No I don't know anyone, also I don't think I can open the sponge compartment so would I be ok to attach it around the outside of the filter, or even bury in the gravel, I don't know if that would make a difference?

5. Ps3Steveo

Ps3Steveo Planted Experimentalist

You should be able to open the compartment as all filters require cleaning at some stage.

6. willowstwin

willowstwin Member

where are you based? Someone on here from your area may be able to donate some filter media