Please Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

gobannanas

Reaction score
Hi, I set up a new 19l tank 3 weeks ago. I let the tank run for three days and then stupidly added safestart ('live bacteria') and 3 harlequin rasboras, after being told it would be fine. The fish died overnight so I took them out.
Since they died I left the tank running and done a lot of research of cycling. I tested the water, which was 1.5 ppm from the fish. I left it for two weeks at about 2ppm and then decided to turn the temp up to 32 degrees and added 0.5 ml of 9.5% ammonia. It has been three days since adding the ammonia which is at 6-7 ppm (was aiming for 5ppm) and no nitrites.
Can someone help me out and reccomend what to do. Do I need to do a water change?
Also, a lfs sell mature filter media at 1p each (ceramic rings) but I have a sponge filter, could I attach them to the outside of the filter and the bacteria would transfer? Thank you. :) p.s there is also a bit of algae building up around the filter and gravel, also can I add plants now some places say wait and some say it's ok?

id say leave it but buy a couple a ceramic rings and cut a little off the filter sponge or if you can ask for a sponge media... the bacteria will get in there eventually :good:

You can add plants from the word go, do you know anyone that has a tank that you can get some mature sponge media from?

You can add plants from the word go, do you know anyone that has a tank that you can get some mature sponge media from?
No I don't know anyone, also I don't think I can open the sponge compartment so would I be ok to attach it around the outside of the filter, or even bury in the gravel, I don't know if that would make a difference?

You should be able to open the compartment as all filters require cleaning at some stage.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back