Please help regarding my plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

why

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
HI,

This is for my new 20 gallon tank, this is my very first tank cycling. I took 10gallons of water from a very well established 50 gallon tank which has gold fishes, frogs, and other fishes and live plants. Today is like 9th day of cycle and all levels are very well under control. And also i got a new Aqua Care Fluval 20-50 gallon filter adding to the 20 gallon filter today. i have 4.5 inches amazon sword plant along with Anacharis Elodea Densa Tropical Live Aquarium Plants Aquatic Pond Bundle Stems which i bought from ebay.

The pond plants are getting faded and i really worried about them. right now its just gravel and water and i just sowed those plants in tank. following are the pictures showing the plants fading kindly please advise what should be done.

RpQaIx5.jpg

j3nYqfN.jpg

wESCMSo.jpg

6WKsABT.jpg

Thanks in advance.

The Elodia rotting could be lack of light, a sudden change in water quality, or the plants got cooked or damaged when they were being transported.

Make sure you have lights on for 12 hours a day. If the plants came from outside they will be use to very bright intense light and need time to adjust to indoor fluorescent lighting.
A sudden change in water chemistry can cause plants to rot. Again if they came from outside there could be a significant difference in water chemistry.
The most likely cause is the plants were damaged during transit and got hot.

Cut off any soft rotting parts and throw on the garden. Give them lots of light and hopes they survive.

Elodia can grow quite happily floating on the surface, so if any bits break off and float leave them and see how they do.

Thank you very much and much appreciate your reply.. i was more happy like your display pic seeing your reply. hope you are also like the way smiling all the time. Can you please recommend few plants that will bring more greenary to the tank with less maintenance .. i will cut of the rotting parts and put them in light.

also i see some one selling DuckWeed locally, do you think that this will help more to my tank and give natural look for fishes. But for this do i have to go for plant nutrients and substrates..

When you cut the rotting parts off the plants, throw the rotting parts in the bin or outside on the garden. Do not leave the rotting parts in the tank.

Do not add Duckweed until the other plants have settled down and are growing well.

Some good plants to try include Ambullia, Hygrophilla polysperma & narrow Vallis.

Reactions: why
thank you very much and all these dont need any additional things like substrate, supplements like that

Ambullia & Hygrophilla polysperma can grow on the surface or planted in the gravel, but they look better when planted in the gravel.

Narrow Vallis needs to be planted in the gravel.

If you want a nice floating plant then look for Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thallictroides). It can float or be planted but looks good on the surface.

Reactions: why
Thank you very much, i will look for these...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back