Please Help Me

zee

New Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2009
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Im sorry to barge in here in a tizz but I just dont know what to do about my poor fish.

My friend gave me a "tropical" fishtank with 2 fantailed goldfish, a pleco catfish and some female swordtails (I think they are called). We set the tank up with the water they took out so it was minimal change, but in the move they must have got stressed cos they developed white spot. Went and got white spot treatment and done what it told me which was, clean the gravel, do a water change and put this white spot stuff in the new water. Also cleaned out the pump / filter and changed the white pads in the filter. Well since then things seemed to have got worse, and I just dont know what to do. Temp is at 24, im feeding them flakes and bloodworm every other day and not having the light on more than 8 hours a day. The goldfish are swimming quite erratically and sometimes just laying still and their top fins have flopped, the sword tails appear to be swimming just up and down the height of the tank in the corners or hovering just below surface level. The pleco is the only one I havent noticed anything to worry about, other than white spot which I have tried to treat. On Friday we have to do another white spot treatment. Does anyone know what is wrong with my fish. I have tried to google about looking after them and Im pretty sure I have done everything right :crazy: When we change the water we also have nutrafin cycle and aqua plus which we put in to treat the water.

Help Please :(
 
How many gallons is the tank.
Do you have water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Immediate water change and increase aeration.
Add the correct amount of med back to water removed.
 
How many gallons is the tank.
Do you have water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

Immediate water change and increase aeration.
Add the correct amount of med back to water removed.
Its about 43 litres. They have been happy in this set up at my friends house, its just since they have been here. I dont have water stats, but I am going to get one of those tester kits tomorrow from the local pet shop. :(
 
It looks like you have put the tank into a cycle by changing the filter media and cleaning the gravel etc..
Please answer Wilders questions as best you can and also include what make the filter is so we can se what you have changed.

Baz
 
Your tanks severely overstocked.

For two fantails you need a 30 gallon tank and a 60 gallon filter.
Immediate water change and increase aeration.
 
Im sorry to barge in here in a tizz but I just dont know what to do about my poor fish.

Also cleaned out the pump / filter and changed the white pads in the filter. Well since then things seemed to have got worse, and I just dont know what to do. T


Sounds like that is your problem. Basically the ammonia produced by fish waste/rotting food is 'eaten' up by bacteria that grows on the filter sponges, by putting new ones in, you've lost all of your beneficial bacteria. Many fishkeepers 'replicate' having fish in their tank by adding liquid ammonia before actually adding the fish so the filter is not just swirling around ammonia (which is highly toxic to fish) ridden water.

You are now in a fish-in cycle, and from now on you'll need to do water changes on a regular basis (around 30-50%, 3 or 4 times a day)

You'll also need a liquid test kit so you can monitor the ammonia build up and know when to do water changes.
 
Your tanks severely overstocked.

For two fantails you need a 30 gallon tank and a 60 gallon filter.
Immediate water change and increase aeration.
Well I dont want anyone to get cross with me because I just took the tank off my friend who didnt want it. He has had it for a while and they were fine at his place. The only thing that has changed since it was at his house is the layout.

Edit - Our pump is a Fluval for up to 90l
 
Goldfish need large tanks as they are massive waste producers and they grow large.

Did you wash the filter sponges in tap water.

Don't worry we won't get cross with you. Seen loads of members put goldfish in small tanks.
 
Well I dont want anyone to get cross with me because I just took the tank off my friend who didnt want it. He has had it for a while and they were fine at his place. The only thing that has changed since it was at his house is the layout.

Edit - Our pump is a Fluval for up to 90l


Dont worry mate, no one is getting cross here :)

We were all beginners at one point :)
 
Goldfish need large tanks as they are massive waste producers and they grow large.

Did you wash the filter sponges in tap water.

Don't worry we won't get cross with you. Seen loads of members put goldfish in small tanks.
I just dont want people to think Im one of these people that think yeah fish ... easy great, and then just chuck em in water and hope thats enough :good:

I guess changing the filter tho, as someone explained might have something to do with it, but the box just said chuck the old one and put the new one in so thats what I done, now I feel bad that Ive done something terrible to my fish!

Without copping out I work full time, all those water changes just aren't possible for me timewise :crazy:

I dont use tap water for anything re my fish, its always treated.
 
If the goldifsh survive I would rehome them as the tanks to small.
For now all you can do is water changes to lower the ammonia and nitrite reading.
Increase aeration. If you don't have an air pump just lower the water level so the filter outlet hits the water harder.
The filter won't be able to keep up with the goldfish waste.

Just add the correct amount of med back to water removed.
Have you raised temp to 30.
 
Goldfish need large tanks as they are massive waste producers and they grow large.

Did you wash the filter sponges in tap water.

Don't worry we won't get cross with you. Seen loads of members put goldfish in small tanks.
I just dont want people to think Im one of these people that think yeah fish ... easy great, and then just chuck em in water and hope thats enough :good:

I guess changing the filter tho, as someone explained might have something to do with it, but the box just said chuck the old one and put the new one in so thats what I done, now I feel bad that Ive done something terrible to my fish!

Without copping out I work full time, all those water changes just aren't possible for me timewise :crazy:

I dont use tap water for anything re my fish, its always treated.


your other alternative the mate is to rehome(most aquatics stores take them) the fish and do a fishless cycle, as you're going to need to rehome the goldfish and possibly the plec (depending on species) anyway in the long run as they are too big for that tank.
 
If the goldifsh survive I would rehome them as the tanks to small.
For now all you can do is water changes to lower the ammonia and nitrite reading.
Increase aeration. If you don't have an air pump just lower the water level so the filter outlet hits the water harder.
The filter won't be able to keep up with the goldfish waste.

Just add the correct amount of med back to water removed.
Have you raised temp to 30.
I raised it to 26 like the white spot med told me to do but it didnt say how long, so I done it for a day. How long can I keep it at such a high temperature?
 
Whats the med called. Is it esha exit.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top