Platy Type Identification

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

igotaplaty

Reaction score
Hi I just got my first platy and I can't tell if it's a sunburst mickey mouse or a sunset mickey mouse, or are they the same thing?
Here's the best pic I could get of him, her? Also, any clue on sexing, particularly what sex mine is and why.
And I see he's a bit red around the gills, at first I thought that was because his head is a bit darker than his body, but now I'm not so sure. Thoughts?
Thanks for all the help!

2013-04-11 13.55.53.jpg

it looks like a mickey mouse platy. i have 2 of them. see the tail? it even looks like mickey mouses head.

Looks to me like a gold Mickey. Yours is a male. You can tell by checking the anal fins. Unless your fish is clamping his anal fins, they are sharp triangles. Females have fuller, rounder triangles.

It is indeed a X. maculatus, but this covers all platy varieties. It could very well be a sunburst/MM cross.

My platy recently dropped, 3 days ago now and I'm just wondering what type her fry could be? The dad I think is a red tuxedo and she is very similar but gold as you can see in my display picture..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 194

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back