Platy Questions

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GJF

Reaction score
Thinking of getting some Platy Fish for my aquarium however have some questions first before deciding to take the plunge.

What is an advisable number of platy to keep together and what is the best ratio of males to female? I understand they are prolific breeders so is it practical to keep all females? What sort of size do they get to and would they have any issues with my 8 zebra danios which I currently have? I have an 125l aquarium

Thanks!

I see you are in Scotland which means you most likely have soft water. Platies are hard water fish. So unless you live in one of the few Scottish regions with hard water you would have to add the hardness minerals to keep platies, and add the minerals to the new water at every water change. But I would not add these minerals to a tank with danios.

As a side issue, all the common livebearers should be kept with several females per male. But each of those females will have fry roughly once a month. Keeping only females will not solve this unless you can source females which have never been in a tank with a male because females can store sperm and use this to have fry for up to six months. Keeping only males is the only realistic way to avoid lots of fry.

Glad I asked and thank you for the advice! Not sure if this the place to ask but does anyone have any recommendations for any soft water fish which would do well along with my danios? The brighter the better!

A 125 liter (33 gallon) is not a lot of space, and it would help to know the length and width. Zebra Danios are active fish, and as such should have similarly active fish as tankmates. Slow and sedate fish (cichlids, gourami, and more quiet shoaling fish) will not fare well.

If the tank is 36 inches/90 cm in length, you could look at other species of danio, and at some of the small to medium sized barbs which are also on the active side. Rasboras are not. There are some active tetras that could work too.

For the substrate level, Corydoras catfish; or if this is a 3-foot/90 cm tank, one of the smaller loach species; these are all shoaling fish so they need a group, and the number depends upon the species.

Again thank you for your suggestions, my tank is approx 30 inches long by 14 inches wide if that can give you a better idea for recommendations

Again thank you for your suggestions, my tank is approx 30 inches long by 14 inches wide if that can give you a better idea for recommendations

That does impose some restrictions, but my earlier suggestions are still relevant. Just look at the small to medium sized danios and barbs. One good barb is the Black Ruby Barb.

I had danios with a gourami, tetras, platys, corydoras and they were all fine together nothing fought with each other. Bloodfin tetras are very active like danios and mine got along with my danios my danios and tetras even lay eggs all the time.

That's good to know thanks! Any ideas if ember tetras would work with them?

In my opinion I think that any tetra would work with them but that is just my opinion.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back