Platy Not Eating, Staying At Bottom Of Tank

seewan

Reaction score
One of my platys is not eating when being fed and is hiding out and resting at the bottom of the tank most of the time. Could it be that it's sick? What are some of the symptoms of platy that are about to give birth? Maybe it's about to give birth? I really want to know what's wrong with it. Any comments will help. Thanks.

One of my platys is not eating when being fed and is hiding out and resting at the bottom of the tank most of the time. Could it be that it's sick? What are some of the symptoms of platy that are about to give birth? Maybe it's about to give birth? I really want to know what's wrong with it. Any comments will help. Thanks.
yeah it is a sign of ready to birth but it could be anything, have you got a picture to show?

Hanging out on the bottom of the tank isn't particularly specific unfortunately. Fish sleep near the bottom sometimes, so even if you had your lights on in the tank, you could be seeing a fish resting. Before giving birth fish will often hover, lying pretty still just above the substrate. Also, fish that are stressed may resort to this sort of behaviour. Do you know what your water stats are currently? Keep an eye on them and let us know if anything else develops. In the mean time, make sure your fish have clean, stable water.

Okay, I moved the fish over to a smaller 1 gallon aquarium that I have just in case since I didn't know what was wrong with it. Below are two pictures that I took just now. I tried feeding it again and it just wouldn't eat. If I walk too close to the tank it swims away from me, whereas usually it'll come up for food when it sees me. Basically it's down at the bottom of the tank right above the gravel and not doing much except moving it's fins around quickly. It has been like this since yesterday. It doesn't look like it's about to give birth though. From what I've read on this foruml, the fish is supposed to look like it's about to 'explode'? That doesn't really look like the case right now lol

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/see...ch182007013.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/see...ch182007016.jpg

She looks like she has a pretty defined gravid spot. She may be ready to give birth. I'm not positive about that though as she doesn't look extremely large in the pictures. It could be angles though.

It's only been one night, but I take a look at her again and she looks really stressed out. Parts of her tail fin has been rotting away. She is still sitting at the bottom of the tank though. It looks as if she has these tiny convulsions every few minutes?? They kind of look like muscle contractions. If she's giving birth, are the convulsions supposed to occur?

well if she has a gill infection then the amount of oxygen getting into her system would be very low, this would explain why she's lethargic and sitting around, but he looked quite perky in the photo's.

try treating with protozin and that will flush the gills and do no harm if it's not.

hmmm...It doesn't seem to me like a gill infection though.

If it was going into labour, how long does the process last? I'm am wondering this because she has been like this for two days now.

it will start slidding alog the gravel or sand and will find a good hiding space so no other fish could eat them. maybe 10 -20 mins. they wo'nt have all of them on one blow, it will give birth lets say 1-10 then either the next day maybe a though more.

good luck

Fish may retreat before birth for a couple days, staking out a place to birth the fry, but that's not always the case. I have had fish just pop out fry swimming in the corner at the top too. It's not unusual for a pregnant fish to retreat away, but keep an eye on her.

Well it seems like she's having a really hard time with the birth then, cuz it's been 2 days and nothing has happened except that her fin's are falling apart :(

If her fins are falling apart, that's a sign of fin rot. Do you see any other signs? Is there any fungus? You should be treating for bacterial infection.

Most reactions

trending

Back