platy fish twisting

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sea96

Reaction score
I have 5 platies in 25 litres, all levels are as they should be and 4 are happy and healthy.

One has been at the top near the filter for about 4 days, the past 2 days he has not been eating and has spent a lot of time on the gravel or hiding in ornaments.
Yesterday he took a turn for the worst and was lethargic and bumping into things on the odd occasion he was swimming. He seemed lopsided and reluctant to move.

Isolated him and there was very little improvement, shops all closed so no treatment available 😥 I put him back in the main tank as in isolation he didn't have a filter and I didn't want to chance it overnight. He started contorting, spiralling to the bottom and getting himself wedged between things & not even trying to free himself. Almost as if he was fitting?

edit: he has shown no changes in body size, shape, colour etc. no clear injury or abnormalities.

Unfortunately, he did pass last night. I have a video if anybody would be able to help with any info on what could've been the problem and if my other fish are at risk? I have done a water change this evening and will again tomorrow as a precaution.

Sorry the video is a rough one to watch and thanks in advance for any assistance!

Last edited:
Any chance of a photo of the tank, please?
Also if you can copy/paste the template below and fill it out please, there's a better chance of someone being able to figure out what's going on! TY

ank size:
tank age:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

He'd dying in the video clip (as you know, and I'm sorry for your loss!) but I'm afraid that he's so far gone, it's impossible to really tell from the video alone what he's dying from.

Is this quite a new set up? Looks pretty new. Also looks as though it may be a taller hex tank? Tall, rather than long?
I ask because it's more common for their to be problems with a new tank that isn't fully established yet, and those problems need to be eliminated first, and you said it's 25L = 6.6 US gallons. This is way too small for platies, and even worse if it's tall rather than horizontal, as they have even less space to swim (fish don't swim vertically!)

What's the male/female ratio like? If that one was being chased by another male, hitting the glass is even more likely in such a small space, and could account for neurological symptoms like the curling and knocking into things.

He'd dying in the video clip (as you know, and I'm sorry for your loss!) but I'm afraid that he's so far gone, it's impossible to really tell from the video alone what he's dying from.

Is this quite a new set up? Looks pretty new. Also looks as though it may be a taller hex tank? Tall, rather than long?
I ask because it's more common for their to be problems with a new tank that isn't fully established yet, and those problems need to be eliminated first, and you said it's 25L = 6.6 US gallons. This is way too small for platies, and even worse if it's tall rather than horizontal, as they have even less space to swim (fish don't swim vertically!)

What's the male/female ratio like? If that one was being chased by another male, hitting the glass is even more likely in such a small space, and could account for neurological symptoms like the curling and knocking into things.
That is super interesting thank you!

Fairly new tank, around 7-8 weeks now. Had a few issues with ammonia early on but that has since cleared and levels have been stable for around 2 weeks. It is a hex tank, have added an online store pic here. Interesting what you say about the tank as there's a point system where I got them from (idk if unique or universal!) the tank at 25L holds 12 points, and platies are 2 points each!

I had 3 male 2 female, now 2 of each. We thought the orange one in the vid was pregnant early on just because of the shape & bulge that appeared but he's a male & just larger than the rest!
513D73FC-E3E4-4304-BB1F-9CFD45AC5CE9.jpeg

Urgh, I know the chain store that uses that nonsensical point system... I'm really sorry, not your fault, beginners should be able to trust the info they get from a fish store, but sadly, too many find out the hard way that they're not trustworthy! The store itself cares about selling cute little tanks like yours, even though they're wildly unsuitable and much too small for most of the fish they sell. The employees may or may not know much at all about fish, and even those of us who are deeply into the hobby won't know about all of them.

The other huge problem you're going to face soon is overstocking as a result of the females breeding. I'm going to guess they didn't warn you the females can churn out 30 or more fry every month? Usually the first couple of batches are a bit smaller, but then they begin to have more, and especially in a very small tank to begin with, it can quickly be overwhelmed. Even if the males were removed, once the females have been with a male, they can store sperm packets and continue having fry for months, even up to a year, without a male around.
This is a much more reliable source about fish information (they aren't trying to sell you anything! And written by experts, not just randoms online) called Seriously Fish, here's their profile on platies: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/xiphophorus-maculatus/

And for minimum tank size they say 24″ x 12″ x 12″ (60x30x30cm) Which I can tell you based on my own tanks is 15.5 US gallons/ 60 L, more than twice the size of the one you have, and honestly, that really is the minimum. a 20g would be much more comfortable for housing platies.

Would you be open to upgrading their tank size? The second hand market is definitely in the buyers favour at the moment. There aren't that many fish that would work well in the tank size you have now, except maybe a single betta, or some nano fish that aren't so beginner friendly. It could work as a hospital or nursery tank though.

Urgh, I know the chain store that uses that nonsensical point system... I'm really sorry, not your fault, beginners should be able to trust the info they get from a fish store, but sadly, too many find out the hard way that they're not trustworthy! The store itself cares about selling cute little tanks like yours, even though they're wildly unsuitable and much too small for most of the fish they sell. The employees may or may not know much at all about fish, and even those of us who are deeply into the hobby won't know about all of them.

The other huge problem you're going to face soon is overstocking as a result of the females breeding. I'm going to guess they didn't warn you the females can churn out 30 or more fry every month? Usually the first couple of batches are a bit smaller, but then they begin to have more, and especially in a very small tank to begin with, it can quickly be overwhelmed. Even if the males were removed, once the females have been with a male, they can store sperm packets and continue having fry for months, even up to a year, without a male around.
This is a much more reliable source about fish information (they aren't trying to sell you anything! And written by experts, not just randoms online) called Seriously Fish, here's their profile on platies: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/xiphophorus-maculatus/

And for minimum tank size they say 24″ x 12″ x 12″ (60x30x30cm) Which I can tell you based on my own tanks is 15.5 US gallons/ 60 L, more than twice the size of the one you have, and honestly, that really is the minimum. a 20g would be much more comfortable for housing platies.

Would you be open to upgrading their tank size? The second hand market is definitely in the buyers favour at the moment. There aren't that many fish that would work well in the tank size you have now, except maybe a single betta, or some nano fish that aren't so beginner friendly. It could work as a hospital or nursery tank though.
ahhhh that's so crazy!! I remember when I was a child I had a small tank, the £20 kids character one, and had 2 fish in there that are now 10 'points' each! Oh no I feel so cruel haha!

I'll definitely look into making some changes. I am fed up of the store I've been going to as I've found way more info from google and forums, even dating back to 2004 forums have been helpful! In store I have spoken to about 5 different people and been given 5 different pieces of advice re: the ammonia issue, some state they go by their experience instead of store training so they conflicted each other which has just done no favours.

I was aware breeding is rife & to be honest I am surprised I've had no fry yet. None of that info from the store of course haha, my nephew said the small ones were cute & all they told us is that they eat their babies! Useful.

You have been a super help and definitely opened my eyes, I'm going to look into some changes first thing tomorrow!! Thanks :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back