Platy colour variety?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Kaijuaquatics

Reaction score
Hi there!

So, a little bit of backstory for this. These were my 2 very first fish I got when I started fishkeeping as a serious hobby: Akame and Akatora.

They were sold to me as variatus platyfish I believe? Its been a while so my memory is fuzzy haha. I got them at pets at home when I didn't know any better. They've since passed away but they still hold a very dear place in my heart.

I'd like to know what colour variety they are id anyone knows. I've gotten a few different answers when I asked around in the past but nothing concrete. I'd like to own platys again but I'm put off by the more bold colours of common colourations as they're often the result of crossbreeding with swordtails (another topic for another day).

Here are some of the best pictures of them I have.

20210608_144655.jpg

20210317_213807.jpg

20220427_190344.jpg

You can see one of the fry they produced here ^^

Looks like a colour form of Xiphophorus variatus.

@emeraldking is our resident livebearer expert who can confirm it one way or the other. :)

They're both Variatus platies (Xiphophorus variatus).
They don't belong to a specific fancy color strain. But the female in pic#2 comes close to the rainbow variatus platy. But a real rainbow variatus platy have the fins totally black with the blue on the body. The other female (top one in pic#1) is also not a specific fancy color strain. The spot on the rear part of the body, is something that occurs also in certain wild color morphs of the Xiphophorus variatus.
Even the so-called Mickey Mouse pattern which you can find in fancy platies and swordtails, is not a fancy trait but a wild trait that just happens to look like a Mickey Mouse cap.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back