BullTerrierChild9 29
Fish Fanatic
While I'm awaiting to be accepted into the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum, I figured I'd post here:
There is a small vintage store in my town which is mostly known for prom dresses but contains another room (titled "Cool Stuff for Dudes" on the window) with comics, coins, cap guns, and a wide variety of musical instruments. In the back of the checkout "counter" is what I now know is a vintage Martin Backpacker guitar from the early 90's.
I have been playing instruments for many years, my first being the upright bass (Both orchestral, solo, and now jazz). From there I broadened my horizons to electric bass, and I started seriously learning the electric guitar about a year ago.
When I first saw this Martin, I thought nothing of it, but I have returned to the store to purchase it earlier today for only $100 after researching it's actual worth.
It is made of one piece of wood (I believe Mahagony) with what appears to be an ebony fingerboard. Its serial number is 2362, meaning it could've been from the batch of the first 5000 pre-orders of these Backpackers when they debuted at a guitar convention (I'd assume NAMM, but I don't want to fact check that at the moment). As a whole, I feel very lucky to own a first-generation Martin Backpacker, a crucial piece of travel guitar history!
Attached below are some photos. The guitar has a large crack and signs of other play wear but sounds beautiful and is very comfortable to play. I'm beyond glad to have it in my collection!
There is a small vintage store in my town which is mostly known for prom dresses but contains another room (titled "Cool Stuff for Dudes" on the window) with comics, coins, cap guns, and a wide variety of musical instruments. In the back of the checkout "counter" is what I now know is a vintage Martin Backpacker guitar from the early 90's.
I have been playing instruments for many years, my first being the upright bass (Both orchestral, solo, and now jazz). From there I broadened my horizons to electric bass, and I started seriously learning the electric guitar about a year ago.
When I first saw this Martin, I thought nothing of it, but I have returned to the store to purchase it earlier today for only $100 after researching it's actual worth.
It is made of one piece of wood (I believe Mahagony) with what appears to be an ebony fingerboard. Its serial number is 2362, meaning it could've been from the batch of the first 5000 pre-orders of these Backpackers when they debuted at a guitar convention (I'd assume NAMM, but I don't want to fact check that at the moment). As a whole, I feel very lucky to own a first-generation Martin Backpacker, a crucial piece of travel guitar history!
Attached below are some photos. The guitar has a large crack and signs of other play wear but sounds beautiful and is very comfortable to play. I'm beyond glad to have it in my collection!







