Platies Have Clamped Fins?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Proud Pastry

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello : )

2 of my guppies have been flashing a little bit, and my platies will sometimes clamp their fins.
I have a 10 gallon tank with 4 male guppies and 4 female platies.

I'm picking up a master test kit today so I can check the water.
I've been having a slight ammonia problem due to some bad advice from the pet store, so I've been doing 50-75% water changes everyday to keep the ammonia down. They have all been eating like usual, and none of them are lethargic.

Two of my platies also have very thin white poop, they're still eating and acting normal though.
One of my other platies has a very very tiny white bump where her anus is. Her poop has been normal however, and she still eats well.

I've checked all of my fish for velvet, ich, etc, but they don't show any signs. I'm guessing the flicking and clamped fins are from the slight ammonia?

Any help and advice will be much appreciated! :)

Try the peas to see if that clears things up.

If you do have a slight ammonia reading that can cause fish to flick and rub. Also clamp there fins. hen fish are stressed they will also sometimes look pale in colour.
Carry on with the water changes.
Add one tablespoon of salt. Get a jug of tank water and then add the tablespoon of salt to the water. Stir well till the salt has dissolved, and add to the tank.

Do you have an isolation tank so you can treat the fish with the small white lump.
How long has the fish had the lump?

Do the fish gills look red and inflamed?

Try the peas to see if that clears things up.

If you do have a slight ammonia reading that can cause fish to flick and rub. Also clamp there fins. hen fish are stressed they will also sometimes look pale in colour.
Carry on with the water changes.
Add one tablespoon of salt. Get a jug of tank water and then add the tablespoon of salt to the water. Stir well till the salt has dissolved, and add to the tank.

Do you have an isolation tank so you can treat the fish with the small white lump.
How long has the fish had the lump?

Do the fish gills look red and inflamed?

I'll be sure to try feeding them some peas :)
Boil some shelled peas, then takes the peas out, then chop them up really fine correct?

I unfortunately do have a reading of 0.50 ppm ammonia. I'm changing the water everyday to keep it down.
Is the salt okay for healthy fish as well? I do not have a hospital tank sadly :( the only thing other than my tank is a small fish bowl.
I'm not sure of how long she has had the lump, but sometimes I don't even see it.
I was able to take her out and put her in the fish bowl so I could take a picture: http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd350/Proud-Pastry/Misc/Tali.jpg
(Just a note, the white dust is on the bowl, not the fish :) )

And I don't believe their gills look red and inflamed... :eek: as you can see in the picture her gills show no sign of redness. I've been checking everyday though to see if their gills look red from the ammonia. :)

Just add some frozen garden peas to a jug of boiling water. Leave a few minutes.
Let the peas cool down, Pop out of shell. Chop into fine pieces.
Remove uneaten peas after an hour to two.

Salt give the fish some protection when water quality is poor. You do only have livebearers in the tank, Is this correct. As not all fish tolerate salt.
Red inflamed gills can also be a sign of bad water quality.

Need to take a look at the pic again as I couldn't see much the first time,.

Just add some frozen garden peas to a jug of boiling water. Leave a few minutes.
Let the peas cool down, Pop out of shell. Chop into fine pieces.
Remove uneaten peas after an hour to two.

Salt give the fish some protection when water quality is poor. You do only have livebearers in the tank, Is this correct. As not all fish tolerate salt.
Red inflamed gills can also be a sign of bad water quality.

Need to take a look at the pic again as I couldn't see much the first time,.

Okay, thanks! ^_^
Yes, I do only have livebearers :)
Thanks for that advice, I'll be sure to pick up some salt!

I would also recommend doing at least 3 water changes a day. Test water after a few hours to see if the ammonia reading is going down.
Do you know anyone who could donate you a mature filter sponge?

Do you have a small heater for the goldfish bowl, air stone for aeration.

You can use household salt.

I would also recommend doing at least 3 water changes a day. Test water after a few hours to see if the ammonia reading is going down.
Do you know anyone who could donate you a mature filter sponge?

Do you have a small heater for the goldfish bowl, air stone for aeration.

You can use household salt.

3 Water changes? I can do that :) How much water should I change and how many hours should I wait in between changes?
Unfortunately I don't know anyone else with an aquarium :(

I do have a heater, but my room is pretty warm as it is and I actually had to stop using it for my regular tank haha, and I have an air stone that I could put in the bowl :) What shall I do for her?

Oh wow, really? Alrighty I'll try that then :eek: How much salt should I put in?

50% water changes. I used to preform one in a morning. One a dinner time. Last water change at night.

Fill the bowl up with abit of tank water, then fill the rest with fresh water adding water conditioner. Match temp. Run airstone.
Place a net over the bowl attached with a rubber band, or string,. Don't want the fish jumping out of the bowl.

Do you have any bacterial medications.

50% water changes. I used to preform one in a morning. One a dinner time. Last water change at night.

Fill the bowl up with abit of tank water, then fill the rest with fresh water adding water conditioner. Match temp. Run airstone.
Place a net over the bowl attached with a rubber band, or string,. Don't want the fish jumping out of the bowl.

Do you have any bacterial medications.

Okay, I'll do that :) Thanks!
EDIT: Should I put salt in with each change? And how much salt should I add? :eek:

I do not have any bacterial medications :( What do you think the little white bump might be? :eek:

It could be bacterial the lump. Maracyn plus to cover all bases.
You will have to keep doing water changes on the fish bowl. Just add the correct amount of medication back to water removed.

Salt dosage is usually one tablespoon to 5 gallons of water.
So if you removed 3 gallons of water you need to add 3 teaspoonful back

It could be bacterial the lump. Maracyn plus to cover all bases.
You will have to keep doing water changes on the fish bowl. Just add the correct amount of medication back to water removed.

Salt dosage is usually one tablespoon to 5 gallons of water.
So if you removed 3 gallons of water you need to add 3 teaspoonful back

Okay great, thank you very much! :D
I'll post again if I need any further help :)

Good Luck.
I like to know how the fish got on. If members have the time, don't mind,.

Good Luck.
I like to know how the fish got on. If members have the time, don't mind,.

Just to be sure, I add 1 tablespoon for every 5 gallons? So I'd add 2 tablespoons since I have a 10 gallon?

I just took some water out and dissolved 1 tablespoon of salt in (non-iodized) and added it into the tank. I thought I'd just add 1 tablespoon just in case :)

Just wanted to add that I had another look at all of my platies, and all of them have the little white bump on their bum. So I looked up female platies on google and found that all platies have a little white bump there :eek:
I guess it's just something that they have? lol :)

Sorry. I kept platys and I know they have a gravid spot.. I thought you meant the lump was near her anus.

It's best to add the salt gradually. Rather than add the full dose straight away.

How are the fish doing?
Has the ammonia reading gone down with the water changes?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back