Platies Have Clamped Fins?

Sorry. I kept platys and I know they have a gravid spot.. I thought you meant the lump was near her anus.

It's best to add the salt gradually. Rather than add the full dose straight away.

How are the fish doing?
Has the ammonia reading gone down with the water changes?

Yeah, I wasn't sure of what the little white spot was haha, but now I know! :p

I just added 1 tablespoon, and made sure it was totally dissolved before adding it in the tank.
They're doing super well actually! My ammonia has gone down (still have some though, will keep changing the water 3 times a day).
It was 0.50 ppm the other day and now it's 0.25 ppm :)
They no longer clamp their fins, although the orange one does sometimes when my guppy tries to mate with her... is that normal?
I noticed one or two of my guppies was rubbing against the rocks a little bit, but definitely not as much as before. :)

Glad to see the ammonia reading is coming down with water changes.
:good:

Glad to see the ammonia reading is coming down with water changes.

Still doing the water changes :) The ammonia is still at 0.25 ppm though :( Doing ammonia tests every day.
My platies aren't clamping their fins anymore except for the one orange one. She clamps her fins sometimes still... And today I noticed she flashed up against a decoration, she's never flashed before.
She and one other platy started swimming around really fast and it looked very out of the ordinary :( Any idea why they might jerk around and swim really fast then hide?

Fish will show these signs when the tanks not cycled.

Darting, erratic swimming.
Flicking and rubbing.
Excess slime, or trailing mucas on fins, gills, body.
Red gills, pale gills, lilac gills.
Laboured breathing, or gasping at surface of tank.
Red streaking.
Swim bladder problems.
Turning up side down, or spinning in circles.
Fish will look pale.
Clamped fins.
Greyish film on fish.

Fish will show these signs when the tanks not cycled.

Darting, erratic swimming.
Flicking and rubbing.
Excess slime, or trailing mucas on fins, gills, body.
Red gills, pale gills, lilac gills.
Laboured breathing, or gasping at surface of tank.
Red streaking.
Swim bladder problems.
Turning up side down, or spinning in circles.
Fish will look pale.
Clamped fins.
Greyish film on fish.

Thanks! That helps a lot! :)

I just went to the fish store today and they squeezed out a sponge filter into a bag for me to pour into my aquarium to help give it a bacterial boost! Hopefully it works! I just added in a bit to start, and will add in more later if needed :)

You need to add it all straight away or the good bacteria will start to die off.
When someone donates you some good bacteria for your filter make sure they had no sick fish in the tank.

You need to add it all straight away or the good bacteria will start to die off.
When someone donates you some good bacteria for your filter make sure they had no sick fish in the tank.

Yeah I just added in the rest now :) It was probably in the bag for under an hour tops.

Before I took the bag I asked them if it was safe for my fish, and they told me that they keep their tanks very clean and make sure to put any sick fish in quarantine straight away. :)

That's good.

I would test your water in a few hours time to see if the bacteria has helped cycle your tank.

Good Luck.

That's good.

I would test your water in a few hours time to see if the bacteria has helped cycle your tank.

Good Luck.

Thank you very much! :D
I'm testing it now just to be on the safe side, and then I'll test it again in a couple hours :)

My ammonia seems to have gone down :) It's not totally at 0 yet though :( but it's definitely not 0.25 ppm anymore.

I'm still a little worried though... my orange platy still clamps her fins... :( and she was swimming really oddly today.
My two blue platies gills look a little red as well, will their gills heal over time when the ammonia is gone?
One of my blue platies keeps hiding and I can almost never find her, any reason she might be hiding more than usual? I know none of the other fish bully her... she'll come out to eat though.

One good thing though, all of their poop is totally healthy now! :)

Could they maybe just be dealing with what the ammonia might have done to them? If so, will they get better? :(

Bad water quality takes it toll on fish. All you can do is keep preforming water changes.
The symptoms do point to bad water quality.
Clamped fins.
Red inflamed gills.
Bad water quality can also cause swim bladder.

Is there any excess slime on body, gills, fins.
Check for tiny red pin pricks marks, red streaking on body, fins.

When you say one of your fish is swimming oddly, in a jerky movement, unable to maintain balance, or swimming in place like shimmering.

Bad water quality takes it toll on fish. All you can do is keep preforming water changes.
The symptoms do point to bad water quality.
Clamped fins.
Red inflamed gills.
Bad water quality can also cause swim bladder.

Is there any excess slime on body, gills, fins.
Check for tiny red pin pricks marks, red streaking on body, fins.

When you say one of your fish is swimming oddly, in a jerky movement, unable to maintain balance, or swimming in place like shimmering.

Yeah :(
My ammonia has gone down SO much though, in fact I think it's gone haha
I did a water test today and it was yellow :) and the live reader I have is also bright yellow.
Should I keep doing water changes? Or just change the water once a week?

I don't believe there is any excess slime on their bodies... and some of them would do a jerky movement. They don't do it all the time, it's pretty rare and over very quickly. I haven't seen them do it today which is good :) They seem to be doing better.
I guess any odd swimming I might see would just be after math of the ammonia? Kind of like breaking a fever and now you just have a cold? :eek:

I agree. If ammonia reading is above 0 you need to preform a water change.

Glad to hear the fish are no longer showing any of the symptoms since the ammonia reading has reduced to nearly 0.

I assumed so haha :p I just wasn't sure if I should change it or not if I see them acting strange :)
Hopefully the ammonia stays down now! I have two fry to look after! :X

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back