Platies And Neon Tetras...a Good Mix ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rich_77

Reaction score
Hi

I'm pretty new to all of this, but loving the advice a few of you have given me so far.

Much more useful than some of the people that actually work in LFS' or chain retailers !

I'm cycling a 64L tank and eventually (maybe this weekend or next) want to put in two female platy's and a male. I understand from the boards that this means a lot of fry. But I am interested in possibly breeding....even though I'm still new :) (And the females might eat all of the fry).

I was just wondering, I always wanted Neon Tetra in a tank since I was a kid....will Platies and tetras get on ok ?

I was told by the LFS I could have Guppies, Platy's and Tetra's in a tank, no prob (when I bought a 20L tank !) but wondering if they will mix...especially seeing as I want to put them in my 64L tank.

Many Thanks in advance.

Yea the will be fine. Guppies are a little shoot about everywhere and eat everything. But all quite harmless to each other. Though I adore Cardinal Tetra's, Guppies look nice but a bit too "toyish" and platy's are too much like goldfish. All to own taste, but yes that won't be much of a problem.

Yea the will be fine. Guppies are a little shoot about everywhere and eat everything. But all quite harmless to each other. Though I adore Cardinal Tetra's, Guppies look nice but a bit too "toyish" and platy's are too much like goldfish. All to own taste, but yes that won't be much of a problem.

Cheers for the reply....if you were in my position, 64L to fill....what would you go for ? (I have the male platy, so feel a bit bad if I leave him in the 20L tank by himself) :)

You could add some amano shrimp they are really nice and make the tank interesting and a nice housekeeper isn't bad at all:D or maybe some corrys they're school fish like tetra and they are really cool. :lol: Might be a good idea if you go to your LFS and see what they have and see if the fish you want are all compatible. Good luck on the stocking :p.

You could add some amano shrimp they are really nice and make the tank interesting and a nice housekeeper isn't bad at all:D or maybe some corrys they're school fish like tetra and they are really cool. :lol: Might be a good idea if you go to your LFS and see what they have and see if the fish you want are all compatible. Good luck on the stocking :p.

Getting the feeling not to trust my LFS to be honest :(

Getting the feeling not to trust my LFS to be honest :(

Well you don't have to ask them for any help just make sure you get the names of the fish preferably the scientific name if they have it there. Go home and do some personal research on the fish also make sure that the conditions of the fish in your LFS are good so you don't get any fish with any illness. I once went to WalMart to check out their fish and the water was all dirty bunch of dead fish on the filter, they didn't even have gravel they had a cheap cut out :sick: and it was all dirty.

Get another platy and maybe two balloon mollys for the smaller tank, then in the bigger I would personally have say 6 Cardinal Tetras a few harlequins and a few phantom tetras should look quite nice then.

If you're only cycling your tank just now, don't get any neons for at least a few months. They are bad in new tank setups and will most likely just die. Platies and neons will get on fine, but just hang off adding the neons :)
If you're mixing male and female platies, remember that you will most likely end up with fry that you will eventually have to try and get rid of, and no-one really will pay anything for them. You will likely end up having to give them away to your LFS, but if you don't mind doing that then they are good fun to watch growing up.
If you are planning on 3 platies (1M 2F) then you could add a shoal of about 6-10 neons once the tank is fully settled and a few months matured.

If you're only cycling your tank just now, don't get any neons for at least a few months. They are bad in new tank setups and will most likely just die. Platies and neons will get on fine, but just hang off adding the neons :)
If you're mixing male and female platies, remember that you will most likely end up with fry that you will eventually have to try and get rid of, and no-one really will pay anything for them. You will likely end up having to give them away to your LFS, but if you don't mind doing that then they are good fun to watch growing up.
If you are planning on 3 platies (1M 2F) then you could add a shoal of about 6-10 neons once the tank is fully settled and a few months matured.

Thanks for the tips :)

I'll wait a little longer for the neons. Typically, the LFS said I can put in the neons in the tank straight away !

They will mix just fine for aggression purposes but neons like their water very, very soft. Guppies will tolerate somewhat soft water and platies prefer their water a bit on the hard side. A compromise can be reached but do you know what you have for tap water? That would help us steer you in the right direction.

They will mix just fine for aggression purposes but neons like their water very, very soft. Guppies will tolerate somewhat soft water and platies prefer their water a bit on the hard side. A compromise can be reached but do you know what you have for tap water? That would help us steer you in the right direction.

I have an API Master Kit, shall I test a 1/2 litre jug against it ?

The master test kit does not test for hardness. I suggest that you just ask at the local pet shop. They will know what the typical water in your area is like.

The master test kit does not test for hardness. I suggest that you just ask at the local pet shop. They will know what the typical water in your area is like.

Ok, thanks, I'll call them or pop down.

Then again, I'm guessing that because they sell Neon Tetras....well, they might say it's all fine to mix the fish ?

Cynical of South London :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back