Do you guys like this thread?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nomaphila stricta, java moss, giant bacopa, riccia fluitans will not survive. Swords & crypts do not do well in higher pH and hard water so good luck if you try.

BTW Java moss scientific name is Taxiphyllum barbieri
I still have Java Moss and Fern in my tank. For quite a few months now. Ph is above 8.

there is always going to be exeptions, i tried some taiwan moss in mine and they ripped it up withing seconds :shout:

Nomaphila stricta, java moss, giant bacopa, riccia fluitans will not survive. Swords & crypts do not do well in higher pH and hard water so good luck if you try.

BTW Java moss scientific name is Taxiphyllum barbieri
I still have Java Moss and Fern in my tank. For quite a few months now. Ph is above 8.

there is always going to be exeptions, i tried some taiwan moss in mine and they ripped it up withing seconds :shout:

That is probably the most important thing to consider with this list of plants I have provided, that there are going to be exceptions. That is why at the top, before the list of plants starts, I tried to make that really clear.

-FHM

I dont' keep chiclids although i do think this is a good topic to pin as it can be really difficult ot find concise evidence that plants will survive. Group some plants into low light, medium and high light so people can fashion a planting list easier?

Just a suggestion, Andrew

I dont' keep chiclids although i do think this is a good topic to pin as it can be really difficult ot find concise evidence that plants will survive. Group some plants into low light, medium and high light so people can fashion a planting list easier?

Just a suggestion, Andrew
I like your idea!

The plants are now grouped together according to lighting requirements, check it out!

I even added another plant; Crinum natans!

-FHM

In my opinion this is a really good thread, does one of these exist for non chiclids? I have a problem gettinghold of most of the plants suggested by people as the LFS don't stock them.

Andrew

In my opinion this is a really good thread, does one of these exist for non chiclids? I have a problem gettinghold of most of the plants suggested by people as the LFS don't stock them.

Andrew
Thanks for the advice that you have provided earlier, and I am really glad that you like it!

I am not sure about a plants list for non-cichlids, but you should be able to get away with pretty much any plant, just because, other fish other than cichlids, will not "mind" plants as much. IMO.

But any of these plants will work in non-cichlid tanks as well.

-FHM

i like this thread, it is useful for the begginner. however, isnt it just a list of low light plants that are attatched to decor?

well done

well done, having been a keeper of oscars i have a fair idea of what the larger ciclids are like, mine never touch java fern and i had a huge plant in one tank, thats was tied onto bogwood and looked stunning, they are plant wreckers ,and its always nice to have an idea what you can use and not have to wake up to a chewed n spat plant in the morning...
im sure i speak for a lot of us when i say well done, i for one appreciate the obvious effort you have made to put this thread together :)

shelagh xxxx

Thank you very much shelaghfishface!

I am glad that you found this thread interesting!

i like this thread, it is useful for the begginner. however, isnt it just a list of low light plants that are attatched to decor?

well done

I am glad that you like this thread as well, and that it would be a good sticky for beginners.

If you can, send me a PM about your thoughts about the thread and how it can be perfected!

Thanks again for your interest with this thread!

Maybe it will be a stinky someday? Hint...Hint...lol

-FHM

You mean sticky right? :lol: All joking aside, I do think this is a beneficial thread! A friend of mine that has a bunch of Cichlids said he had the most luck if the plants were existing before the fish were added.

You mean sticky right?
:lol: All joking aside, I do think this is a beneficial thread! A friend of mine that has a bunch of Cichlids said he had the most luck if the plants were existing before the fish were added.
Opps, :lol: :blush:

You make a good point about having the plants first, that is what I did for mine and they have never touched a plant yet, I will add that to the list.

Thanks for that!

-FHM

Oh thanks for the thread :) I have silk plants in my tank that are copies of most you posted. But i was after some floating plants or plants that dangle down from the top of the water? To break up line of sight for the top dwellers i have. I kept real plants for quite a while but found they got eaten more quicker then they would grow and also the sand constantly been spat around settled on the plants and damaged them. So silk plants it is. But i wouldnt mine a good flaoting plants for all tanks...any suggestions?

to be hones with you there should be something like that for every possible plant as it really hopefull!

Thanks!!!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back