Plants that Dwarf Gourami will not eat?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lifeofbrian

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Recently bought two flame dwarf gourami and they're decimating my Ludwigia Repens and Heteranthera zosterifolia. Are there plants they wont touch?

It's odd that gouramis would tear apart plants, I didn't see them as veggie eaters. Maybe cause those are relatively thin leafed plants they thought it was food. I think plants with larger leaves would do well, like most crypts and swords. Anubias and java fern would be alright, they have tough leaves.

Last edited:
Dwarf Gouramis will eat plant matter, what are you feeding them?

Feeding them once a day is fine but it would be better to feed more natural foods instead of flakes. My various gouramies (and other fish) get a rotation of 2 or 3 different kinds of flake food, pellet foods, algae waffers (dwarfs aren't quite so keen on these but they do sometimes nibble), catfish pellets and, for 'natural' foods (essential for dwarf gouramies, which are prone to constipation and dropsy), frozen or live bloodworm, blackworm, brine shrimp, daphnia and blanched veggies or cucumber - weighed down where necessary though some of my gouramies are also happy to be hand fed small bits. :) I generaly feed 2 types of food per day but your feeding regime will come down to how much time you have to devote to feeding. That probably makes me sound very busy as you'd think feeding doen't take long - but consider how long it takes to thaw frozen foods, prepair vegetables or work out how much food your fish will eat in a short amount of time so as to avoid causing your water quality to deteriorate (though you'll only need to do this the first few times you feed, watching them closely to make sure everyone's satisfied and nothing's left voer, before you know how much is a good amount to offer each tank). I'll add that you should avoid feeding freeze-dried foods - they have practicaly no nutritional value and can easily cause constipation in dwarf gouramies.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-do-you-feed-your-dwarf-gouramis.121198/

I think it's only one of the Gourami that nibbles the plants, I may be wrong. My tank gets algae wafers, sinking wafers, flakes, dried blood worm and Thera A+. And frozen blood worm once or twice a week.

20170126_010601.jpg

Dwarf Gouramis will eat plant matter, what are you feeding them?

Last edited:
Are you sure they eat the plants? Normally they graze the surface of many things including plant leaves. It might seem like they eat plants but in fact they don't.

Yeah I'm not sure if they actually eat the plants but they definitely nibble at them and remove the little leaves.

Are you sure they eat the plants? Normally they graze the surface of many things including plant leaves. It might seem like they eat plants but in fact they don't.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back