Plants On Top Of The Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

flowerfairy74

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 100 litre aquarium containing 6 adult platties (plus 2 x 1cm fry and at least 3 more newly hatched newborns spotted today (argh!)), 1 bristlenose ancistrus and 2 new hatchetfish (more will be added to form a shoal but don't want to stress the filter so adding 2 per fortnight until I get to 5 or 6).

My tank has a large gap at the top/back approx 7cm wide x 50 cm long, so I have today put a piece of wire mesh over it (cutting holes for the filter pipes and airstone tubes to go through) to stop the hatchets "flying" away.  Also helps prevent kitty from fishing!

The mesh doesn't lie completely flat and is bent up a little in places, so I thought I would put a couple of plant pots on top of it to keep it flat and prevent kitty from scratching it up and getting her paws underneath.  One of the plants is a scented geranium, whose leaves contain strong essential oils. 

Just wondering if the heat from the light fitting and moisture from the water may release some of the oils and whether it would be harmful for the fish?  Possibly an overreaction and probably a silly worry, but have just restocked my tank after a devastating ich outbreak which came in with some platties (from a well known infamous LFS), which left me with only 4 surviving fish from my original 15, so am feeling anxious and overprotective of my new stock.

The leaves of the plants won't come into contact with the water and the mesh will stop any leaves that fall from going into the tank, just wondering whether a plant with such highly scented leaves is safe.  Obscure and paranoid question, sorry if I sound like a loon!

Me personally, I wouldn't risk it.. But, I'm also a very parinoid individual regarding my babies :D Is it possible? I couldn't imagine it hurting as long as there is no way of the oils getting in. Maybe a pic of the mesh top would help as well?

Thanks for your reply.

Uploading pics is a bit technical for me at this stage, but it's standard wire mesh used for aquariums/terrariums.  Holes about 3mm diameter.  Same stuff as I've had moss tied onto before.  V flexible, can be cut with strong scissors.  Bought a strip 9cm x 60 cm.

My tank is acrylic and has a fixed top with a large lighting section that can be lifted off and then behind that an open strip for filter pipes etc, with no cover (hope that description hasn't made it even more confusing!)  I had put a spare strip of perspex over to cover it, but it bends up over the pipes and have seen kitty's paws waving about in the tank so needed something more secure esp with the hatchets, which are still v small.

The leaves won't be able to touch the water so should be safe, but you know it's like basil plants, or rosemary, as soon as you brush them they release their scent so I wondered how much of that oil in the air would settle, especially with the hatchets being at the surface all the time.   Perhaps I'll swap the geranium for an orchid and see how that does instead!

I would! and let us know what you come up with :)

Will do!
yes.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back