Plants Next To Internal Filter?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

David J

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

I will soon be planting my first tank. I was wondering if it is ok to plant next to the filter. I am looking to get some tall plants for the background and was worried that they will get sucked, not into the filter, but constantly against the filter.

Also, while cycling, I have the fluval U2 filter set to the top outlet and have the Venturi valve open so there are bubbles flowing out rippling the surface. The filter has a middle setting which is a spray bar about 3-4 inches tall. When this is used, there are no bubbles. Then, there is a bottom outlet which is the same as the top one except you don't seem to be able to get bubble out of it, unless I'm doing something wrong.

My question is, once planted, which setting would you recommend? Here are the plants I'm looking to get:

Jungle val (Vallisneria americana (gigantea).
Anubias barteri var. angustifolia
Java moss - Taxiphyllum barbieri (Vesicularia)
Frog bit - Limnobium laevigatum
Cryptocyrene.

Thanks

David.

You need to use the top outlet to make water surface movement(ripples/waves) in order for oxygen to get into the water so with just one filter in the tank you don't have too much choice honestly. I wouldn't use the venturi though with plants, too much bubbles and it will get the little CO2 diffused but make sure you position the filter high enough so the outlet does move the surface.

The plants won't get sucked in by a U2 filter because of the design but the outlet may blow away taller plants depending how you position and you plant. I always hide my filters with plants.

How big is your tank because that filter is small enough for most tanks and you need a flow rate of 10x the tank volume an hour in a planted tank, either via filters or filter/powerhead combo.

Hi snazy

Thanks for the reply. My tank is 90L. The filter is 110L per hour. I am hoping to hide it with plants also. I tried the top outlet near the surface without the Venturi and it moves the surface but doesn't break it if you know what I mean. Is that ok? Will there be enough oxygen in the water?

Many thanks

David

Just lift the filter slightly so the outlet is aligned with the surface or just tiny bit below. You don't need splashing, but the surface should be wavy.
I thought the U2 is 400L/H, not 110L/H. It's a bit too small for a 90L tank regardless. I would have gone with a more powerful one. For a 90L tank you would need something rated 900L/H or two filters combined.
I've got two U2 filters and one is in a 30L betta tank, the other one is a second filter in a 60L tank that is overstocked with fry and shrimp so just one U2 in a 90L tank that will be potentially well stocked is low.

Hi

Apologies. It is 400 per hour. It is suitable for upto 110L tanks. Got them mixed up. This came with the tank. I intend to upgrade to an external once my stock reaches a reasonable capacity for the current set up.

Thanks for clarifying about surface agitation. I'll give that a go in the coming days.

i agrea with snazy if you dont have live plants then the U2 is perfect for your tank, as long as you don't go over board on fish, but if you have plants then the plants need more flow in the tank, and 10x is a good figure i am doing the same thing setting up a 88L tank but i am using an external 1050Lph filter which gives me plenty of room and leeway with plants and fish

oh secondly i would not recommend this (Jungle val) in your tank, this plant can get ridiculously to big even for my tank a smaller type of vallis like twisted vallis is more suited for your tank, and crypt's are amazing have a look at the different varieties you get some nice red/purple ones and lovely green ones small and big i have a smaller bushy versions one red one green Beckettii and Nevellii are there proper names check my journal out in my sig for pictures and what you like but i would defiantly recommend that type of plant lovely plant

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back