What's new

Plants for Reef tanks.

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

KevLarr

Reaction score
Just starting out. I have talk to a few people and it has come up that live plants can benefit life in tanks, also been told to watch out on what kind of plants that are put into reef tanks because coral and some plants will put a large strain on calcium levels that both need to survive. So what I'm asking is what are some plants I can introduce to a reef tank that wouldn't put a huge stain to the environment?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

You can use plastic plants or macro algae like Caulerpa and Halimeda.

There are very few real marine plants and sea grasses are about the only one I can think off. Everything else is a macro algae, which fill the same role but they are simpler forms of plants.

If you live near the coast, you can sometimes find rocks with macro algae on them. You can (if careful) put them in the tank and sometimes they grow. Marine plants/ algae are sensitive to changes in water chemistry and temperature. The best way to collect them is to put them in a big bucket of sea water from where you collect them. Then get enough sea water to fill the aquarium. Transport it all home and set the tank up with the sea water, add the rocks with algae, give them lots of light, and try not to let the temperature change (go up or down) too rapidly. Once they settle in they do quite well and there are numerous colours available.

You can do a search on YouTube for macro algae in marine tanks. There are some really lovely looking tanks with them.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

You can use plastic plants or macro algae like Caulerpa and Halimeda.

There are very few real marine plants and sea grasses are about the only one I can think off. Everything else is a macro algae, which fill the same role but they are simpler forms of plants.

If you live near the coast, you can sometimes find rocks with macro algae on them. You can (if careful) put them in the tank and sometimes they grow. Marine plants/ algae are sensitive to changes in water chemistry and temperature. The best way to collect them is to put them in a big bucket of sea water from where you collect them. Then get enough sea water to fill the aquarium. Transport it all home and set the tank up with the sea water, add the rocks with algae, give them lots of light, and try not to let the temperature change (go up or down) too rapidly. Once they settle in they do quite well and there are numerous colours available.

You can do a search on YouTube for macro algae in marine tanks. There are some really lovely looking tanks with them.
macro algae is really cool, they look like plastic plants
1664168003511.png

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back