FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Sorry, we got a bit off topic :blush: Slaphppy was just amazed that I killed duckweed when everyone else just can't get rid of it.
I can now handle both aquatic and houseplants.

It's just a question if finding the right plant for your tank. Even when a person has several tanks, a plant may grow well in one tank but die in another.
For small tanks, salvinia and frogbit and maybe water lettuce; for larger tanks, water sprite is suitable too.

Are these live plants, and if so what kind? Some plants need a lot of light and floating plants cut down the light which isn't good for high-light plants. There are ways of confining a floating plants to one area of a tank so the ones planted in the substrate can get enough light.
Yeah they are live but im not sure what they are called. They currently get low light and are doing fine

You could post photos of the plants for an ID.

If it's allowed where you live, look for frogbit or perhaps salvinia or red root floater (Phyllanthus fluitans). I have frogbit floating on my shrimp tank which is roughly the same size as your 6 gallon. It does grow until it almost covers the whole surface so I have to remove some every so often. But I am aware that some plants are not permitted in some states.

Mine love sitting in the floating plants but mine are bacopa (actually bought as a butterfly host plant with no luck). I didn't see anyone mention it ?

Mine love sitting in the floating plants but mine are bacopa (actually bought as a butterfly host plant with no luck). I didn't see anyone mention it ?

Attachments

• 20210415_154253.jpg
    20210415_154253.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210415_154338.jpg
    20210415_154338.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210415_154310.jpg
    20210415_154310.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 50
You could post photos of the plants for an ID.

If it's allowed where you live, look for frogbit or perhaps salvinia or red root floater (Phyllanthus fluitans). I have frogbit floating on my shrimp tank which is roughly the same size as your 6 gallon. It does grow until it almost covers the whole surface so I have to remove some every so often. But I am aware that some plants are not permitted in some states.
I live in Denver, so is it allowed? I would love something that grows freely without much treatment. But I am not against having to cut off some every now and then!

I have never seen FloridaChick's plant in real life (only photos) so I don't know if the two would mix. I don't know where in the US would sell frogbit, but mine in the UK was no more expensive than most plants here.

I have never seen FloridaChick's plant in real life (only photos) so I don't know if the two would mix. I don't know where in the US would sell frogbit, but mine in the UK was no more expensive than most plants here.
I see- I will check around. Is it around the 12-15USD range? (I know you guys use different currency, I believe that is around 8-10 Pounds).

I paid £3.49 including postage from an Ebay seller - this is slightly less than he charges for plants like crypts. That's $4.82.

In the 6 gallon shrimp tank I have anubias bonsai on wood, Java moss on wood and Schismatoglottis preitoi planted in the substrate.

I also have frogbit in my 180 litre/48 gallon tank, and that has 3 species of anubias, 2 species of Java fern and Buclephalandra all attached to wood, and several species of crypts planted in the substrate, though these are still new and quite small.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back