Plants for a high pH.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

StripySnailGirl04

Fish Addict
Reaction score
UK, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Universe
Probably does not matter for plants whether pH is high or low but I need some background plants, not anubias because I have plenty of that.
pH: between 7.6 and 8.4
GH : approx 21d
KH: between 15 and 20 d
Any recommendations?

Also, my frogbit has a struggle of survival because my Rosy Barbs are constantly attempting to eat it.

Vallis is a decent background plant but you might get tired of it creeping about and popping up new shoots wherever it pleases. Some longer and slender leaved crypts are good too but are slow growers, crypt balansae and crpyt crispatula

The GH is more important than the pH for plants (as for fish), but having said that, there are many aquarium plants that will be fine even in water this hard. Vallisneria was mentioned, it is native to the hard water rift lakes in Africa and this is advantageous because it can readily assimilate carbon from bicarbonates which not all plants can do. Sword plants (Echinodorus species) should do well too.

Edit, I had incorrectly said "carbonates" instead of bicarbonates.

Last edited:
You may have to give different harder water species a try to see what works with such a high Kh value. It’s my understanding that plants are more accepting of differing Gh levels than they are of Kh (although some Gh (calcium and magnesium ions) is necessary). As a general rule, the lower the Kh, the better most plants will do. I run my tanks at less than 1 dKh. At around 18 dKh many plants (particularly those native to soft water, but not exclusively) will start having problems as the carbonates/bicarbonates prevent the uptake of certain nutrients.

Plants that did well in my tanks (pH above 7.6 and GH above 200ppm) include:
Amazon Sword plants, Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, Hydrilla, Narrow Vallis and Water Sprite.

The Water Sprite is a floating plant but can also be planted in the substrate.
The Amazon sword plants do best on the sides of the tank or as a centre piece.
The remaining plants grow tall and do well along the back of the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back