Planted Tank

bloatedguppy

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
174
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Well I know this probably comes up alot but I want to start a medium planted tank. I have many questions and hope I can get answers for them.

#1. I'm thinking about starting with a 20-30 gal rectangular tank or maybe a 29 gal biocube, what would you recommend?

#2. I really want to have sand but what is the most easiest to find,brand, matinence, and price?

#3. Most of the tanks I get come with a regular flouresent light with the hood, is this good enough for most common plants or are there better lights to get?

#4. While reading the faqs I want to have some bog wood and petco carries it in water, should I still boil it?

#5. What would you guys recommend as to start with plants or to start with fish first and also should I cycle my tank first or add the plants at the same time I start?

#6. How much do plants change the water stats and do they keep constant after awhile?

#7. What types of plants would you guys say are good for a begginer and are pretty attractive and low matinence cause I love stuff like sword plants,Also some that the fish won't likely eat?

#8. I'm wanting to have many small species this time around such as neons,cardinels,rummy-nose,endlers,ghost shrimp,corries,glowfish,etc, will any of those species eat the plants or shrimp?

#9. How should the airflow be in my tank?,cause I use tubes but I've seen bubble bars but don't know what would be better?

And #10. I usally use an under gravel filter would this also be good to use?

So those are pretty much my important questions. I am looking up info but wanted to see what you guys might think. I have lots of experiance with fish but want to level up a bit more, and definatly start a planted tank before a saltwater. Even if can answer a couple of questions that would be much appreciated and please people!, Leave comments and info. It'll be awhile before I start but I want this to look better then my last tank and I'm wanting to have shrimp. Please and thanks to the people who leave info I'll be checking everyday! :good:
 
Hiya,

Seen as no-one has replied I thought I'd give it a go. I'm by no means a plants expert but I've picked up stuff from a friend on another fish forum.

#1 - This is preference. I personally like using a rectangular tank but either way you could use a cube. The only thing you need to watch is that it's not really deep as it will be hell to try and plant anything!

#2 - Sand is a good idea. I use sand and I wouldn't change to anything else. You can use something basic like playsand or choose more expensive sand like silica. There are loads of varieties out there, just make sure it's inert and you can afford enough to cover your tank with about 2-3cm. You might also like to consider getting some plant fertiliser which goes in before the sand/gravel and helps plants to grow. I don't use it at the moment but once I set my new tank up I will be doing.

#3 - The lighting thing is difficult to answer without knowing exactly what tank you want to go for. I've used Juwel Rekord tanks which only come with one T8 bulb. That has been sufficient to grow low light plants and the odd medium light plant, although I think you're better sticking with low light ones unless you're going to upgrade the lighting. Having said that though, some tanks come with the new T5 bulbs which are significantly more powerful and will enable you to grow a greater variety of plants.

#4 - Really your choice. I'd boil it just to make sure, but you obviously don't need to leave it soaking for days/weeks or anything!

#5 - I'd cycle your tank and add plants as you go along. However, bear in mind that if you add too many plants then you might experience a 'silent cycle' where you don't see spikes in ammonia, nitrite and nitrate as the plants are using it all up. I added plants gradually throughout my cycle and didn't experience any problems. Also, sorting out your aquascape before adding fish is a good idea so you don't stress them when trying to add a load of plants. Minor alterations are fine once the fish are in though.

#6 - Plants help reduce the toxins in the water but please don't rely on them to sort your water out for you. You need need to do regular water changes etc.

#7 - Java fern is a great starter plant but it needs to be attached to a rock/bogwood. Anubias is another good one (needs attaching too) but it grows very slowly so you may experience algae on its leaves. Sword plants are good, as is Hygrophila polysperma. They're all low light plants. Whether they'll get eaten depends on what fish you keep!

#8 - All those fish sound like good non-munching plant types BUT I can't guarantee what the ghost shrimp and glowfish (???) will do as I have never kept them.

#9 - I wouldn't stress to much about the airflow. My filter creates a ripple across the surface which lets oxygen into the water and gets rid of carbon dioxide, this is good for the fish but not as good for the plants, however, it's more important to keep your fish alive!!! None of my plants have died (other than a high light one that was wrongly sold to me) with this ripple across the surface so their is obviously enough CO2 for them. Some people go down the route of CO2 injection but in my eyes it's a major hassle and you have to be carefl that you don't overdose the tank with CO2 and kill the fish! Basically what I'm trying to say is...make your fish happy and if you pick hardy plants (like the ones mentioned above) then they should take care of themselves :)

#10 - I'd say an undergravel filter is a BIG no-no with plants. Internal or external but not undergravel!

Hope all that helps a little :D

Take care,
Jo
 
I have to agree with PrettyLittleLamb
 
Did you do some research
 
Thanks for the tips! I'm getting the money right now to start it. Also when you say start the cycle first did you use any chemicals cause Most sites say you should'nt have too and let the plants do the work with the amonia and nitrites. Also on the potting soil should I make that about 1 inch deep and then 1inch of sand right away?, And with the plants attached to wood will there roots slowly go into the soil?
 
Thanks for the tips! I'm getting the money right now to start it. Also when you say start the cycle first did you use any chemicals cause Most sites say you should'nt have too and let the plants do the work with the amonia and nitrites. Also on the potting soil should I make that about 1 inch deep and then 1inch of sand right away?, And with the plants attached to wood will there roots slowly go into the soil?

All you need to cycle the tank is some form of ammonia, either fish food (which is gradually decay) or my preferred method is a bottle of pure ammonia (which you can buy from a DIY shop). I wouldn't advise adding anything else (other than dechlorinator for your water obviously!). You could dose liquid fertiliser throughout your cycle (if you add plants) but it's your choice, I didn't and they were perfectly fine. With some plants don't be surprised if they 'melt' or die off a bit once you've added them, they will grow back, you just need to be patient while they settle in. The other thing I thought I'd add is expect brown algae to start with. It's very common in newly set-up tanks. When I saw the leaves on my plants had gone brown I thought they were dead and chucked a lot out (I really don't have green fingers lol), but I later found that it was only algae which can be removed by gently rubbing the leaves in between your fingers. Just a tip!

I don't know which plant fertiliser you're thinking of using under the substrate, but please, please make sure it's suitable for use under sand. Lots are only to be used on their own, and others are meant to be used under gravel, so you'll need to do some research before you purchase anything to make sure you get the right stuff! 1 inch and 1 inch sounds about right, but it'll most likely advise you on the packaging anyway.

As for the plants attached to wood/rocks. You don't need to worry about them. There roots will be fine, and providing you've attached them properly (or buy pre-attached) then you won't experience any problems growing them.

Hope that helps.
Take care,
Jo
 

Most reactions

Back
Top