Planted Brackish Aquarium

I'd skip the Toxotes chatereus and try and get the much smaller (10-12 cm) Toxotes microlepis. It also does much better at low salinity than Toxotes chatereus or Toxotes jaculatrix; all three species are widely traded, and retailers usually have no clue which one they're selling. See the Aqualog book, my brackish book, or my brackish FAQ for tips on telling them apart.

If you want a planted aquarium, your best bets are things like Florida flagfish, Ameca splendens, and Limia nigrofasciata, all of which are superb algae eaters, in sufficient numbers, and all three will thrive at SG 1.003 at 25 C. Florida flagfish doesn't like water that's much warmer than that, though. Nerite snails could also be used, even though your puffer might eat them eventually. They're cheap enough you could just add new ones as required.

Cheers, Neale

I'd skip the Toxotes chatereus and try and get the much smaller (10-12 cm) Toxotes microlepis. It also does much better at low salinity than Toxotes chatereus or Toxotes jaculatrix; all three species are widely traded, and retailers usually have no clue which one they're selling. See the Aqualog book, my brackish book, or my brackish FAQ for tips on telling them apart.

If you want a planted aquarium, your best bets are things like Florida flagfish, Ameca splendens, and Limia nigrofasciata, all of which are superb algae eaters, in sufficient numbers, and all three will thrive at SG 1.003 at 25 C. Florida flagfish doesn't like water that's much warmer than that, though. Nerite snails could also be used, even though your puffer might eat them eventually. They're cheap enough you could just add new ones as required.

Cheers, Neale

How many algae eaters were you thinking I should have?

Most reactions

Back