Planted Betta Vase & Breeding Pair Introduction - Mini/Nano Aquascape Tutorial (timelapse)

omnaturestudio

New Member
Joined
May 14, 2026
Messages
19
Reaction score
12
Points
3
Location
UK

Using plants (as well as some gravel) acquired from someone local who shut down their tank, I made an 8 litre ecosystem.
 
How often do you have to do water testing and water changes in order to keep these fish healthy? Also, what heating do you use - I don't see a heat mat or anything in the vicinity.
Bettas can be kept without any problems at room temperature. A heater isn't needed. I was raised with bettas (my parents' fault). But I also have been breeding them for 15 years. And not one tank was heated (even my current tanks aren't). All fish were healthy and strong.
 
Must say I do like the look and personality of these fish. I may end up getting yet another 24 litre acrylic tank for one and planting it up. Yep, this hobby is definitely pulling me back in again.
 
How often do you have to do water testing and water changes in order to keep these fish healthy? Also, what heating do you use - I don't see a heat mat or anything in the vicinity.
I was testing a lot initially (this was some months ago)...For me it was more a process of being careful with feeding, and doing a lot of water changes 50% water changes. Testing everyday would be optimum, but once established the plants should do a lot of the work. To get the jars established I would do as much as 100% water changes initially.
To start with I kept the jars/vases at the warm room temperature (22-24C). I used traditional 25/50watt aquarium heaters for a bit, but switched to some mini usb heaters that I found on amazon (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0GHK19PSN?tag=fishforums-20).
 
Must say I do like the look and personality of these fish. I may end up getting yet another 24 litre acrylic tank for one and planting it up. Yep, this hobby is definitely pulling me back in again.
The Red Dragon/Samurai (not actually sure what he is completely) is my favourite Betta!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top