Planted 40g Aquarium Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Not a problem, two bags is enough. In my 40g I had about an inch of sand, this tank held my cories. I am a bit surprised that a 50 lb (25 kg up here) bag only made half an inch, but no matter. You could get another bag sometime to have spare, it can come in handy.
I put most of the 2nd bag in and I'm only at 1-1/2 inches surprisingly. Me and my dad are going to Lowes to get two more bags of sand...
I have a lot more work ahead of me... My plants are coming tomorrow lol

I put most of the 2nd bag in and I'm only at 1-1/2 inches surprisingly. Me and my dad are going to Lowes to get two more bags of sand...
I have a lot more work ahead of me... My plants are coming tomorrow lol

Be careful not to go too deep. Some of the "problems" people have when they blame sand is simply depth and maintenance. You will have swords I recall, they need the depth, but you can bank the sand up in the back, and use rock to help. Sand no matter what depth will even out with natural water flow through the substrate.

Be careful not to go too deep. Some of the "problems" people have when they blame sand is simply depth and maintenance. You will have swords I recall, they need the depth, but you can bank the sand up in the back, and use rock to help. Sand no matter what depth will even out with natural water flow through the substrate.
I'm going for 3 inches

@Byron @WhistlingBadger @CaptainBarnicles
How does this look?
20230515_132616.jpg

I like it. Place some river rocks around and on the base, some of them partially burried to tie it into the sand naturally, and maybe a big, interesting hunk of rock 1/3 of the way in from the right and you're golden.

I like it. Place some river rocks around and on the base, some of them partially burried to tie it into the sand naturally, and maybe a big, interesting hunk of rock 1/3 of the way in from the right and you're golden.
Awesome! Great idea! Thank you so much for your input!

I did this temporarily to see how myself and others like it... But dies this look good?
If would give the corydoras so much space to go under!
20230515_135138.jpg

Deffo the vertical in my opinion, I like the height element to it but it's your tank and its whatever you like 👍🏻 such an interesting piece of wood!

This [photo in post #15 just to be clear which] is better to me, it adds space and depth to the aquarium. It is amazing what one can achieve in the way of space appearance just by the hardscape. My only suggestion is to move the bottom bit more into the back wall, so the upper piece is at an angle not parallel to the tank walls. Hope that makes sense. The a few rounded river rocks around the base and into the left rear corner will help too.

This is the tank with no water in it... I'll add pics of it with water once the glare isn't as bad
20230515_162610.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back