Planted 40g Aquarium Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

So that the paint can dry thoroughly before a second coat. Granted, that's more important when you're using a brush or roller.
My paint is spray paint and in the directions it says to spray VERY light coats on, wait about 5 minutes, and then apply another coat.
It's been going on really nicely

My paint is spray paint and in the directions it says to spray VERY light coats on, wait about 5 minutes, and then apply another coat.
It's been going on really nicely
Yah, that's what I've done every time I've spray-painted anything. Worked just fine.

Don't think I'm QUITE done yet, but it's looking good so far!
20230510_165514.jpg

Me too! Have you got a lid for it?

If I washed the sand today and put it in the tank, could I let it sit without water in the tank until Monday when the plants all come?
I don't want the sand to grow mold or become "bad" and I'm thinking it SHOULD be all right but I'm just making sure...

If I washed the sand today and put it in the tank, could I let it sit without water in the tank until Monday when the plants all come?
I don't want the sand to grow mold or become "bad" and I'm thinking it SHOULD be all right but I'm just making sure...

I would add water, no particular reason, but it will allow you to position the heater and filter and by Monday the heater will be properly maintaining the temperature. You will want some water, I usually go with maybe 2/3 of the tank, when planting substrate-rooted plants (swords, Vallisneria, lotus, etc). The water will support the leaves and prevent them breaking. Arrange the hardscape too. Then when you are satisfied with the result, the water will be very cloudy from the sand being disturbed so much, so drain it right down to the sand and then refill with fresh tap water at the right temperature, using a large bowl sitting on the sand to run the water into which will avoid stirring the sand up again and the tank will be clearer from the start. You do not need to dechlorinate the water added now, but dechlorinate it when the fresh water is added at the end. Though if no fish are going in within a couple of days, I would not waste the dechlorinator at all.

I would add water, no particular reason, but it will allow you to position the heater and filter and by Monday the heater will be properly maintaining the temperature. You will want some water, I usually go with maybe 2/3 of the tank, when planting substrate-rooted plants (swords, Vallisneria, lotus, etc). The water will support the leaves and prevent them breaking. Arrange the hardscape too. Then when you are satisfied with the result, the water will be very cloudy from the sand being disturbed so much, so drain it right down to the sand and then refill with fresh tap water at the right temperature, using a large bowl sitting on the sand to run the water into which will avoid stirring the sand up again and the tank will be clearer from the start. You do not need to dechlorinate the water added now, but dechlorinate it when the fresh water is added at the end. Though if no fish are going in within a couple of days, I would not waste the dechlorinator at all.
Oh ok... I wanted to get all the plants in while there was no water. I figured I could bury the plants and maneuver the sand/place the hardscape in the way I want better when the tank is "dry" and has no water to cloud up how it looks...
I guess I could fill up the tank a bit but doesn't the water need some sort of movement so it doesn't become "bad"? Probably a stupid question lol

I don't plan to have fish in this tank for a week or so after setup just to make sure everything is good...
Also, I have chloromines which can't be removed by just evaporation so I have to use dechlorinator when putting water in for fish no matter what.

Oh ok... I wanted to get all the plants in while there was no water. I figured I could bury the plants and maneuver the sand/place the hardscape in the way I want better when the tank is "dry" and has no water to cloud up how it looks...
I guess I could fill up the tank a bit but doesn't the water need some sort of movement so it doesn't become "bad"? Probably a stupid question lol

I don't plan to have fish in this tank for a week or so after setup just to make sure everything is good...
Also, I have chloromines which can't be removed by just evaporation so I have to use dechlorinator when putting water in for fish no matter what.

Yes on using conditioner before fish go in. But otherwise, not necessary. Hardscape can go in a dry tank. I have always found it easier to plant substrate-rooted plants with about half a tank of water. Your call.

Yes on using conditioner before fish go in. But otherwise, not necessary. Hardscape can go in a dry tank. I have always found it easier to plant substrate-rooted plants with about half a tank of water. Your call.
I may try planting a few plants in the dry tank but if I think it'll be easier to plant in a part-way filled tank then I'll do that.
Thank you for all the help!

Ok, I was able to get one whole 50lb bag of sand in the tank and now there is an average depth of half an inch around the tank... Not good cause I only have one other 50lb bag of sand...
Should I get another bag? 😬

Ok, I was able to get one whole 50lb bag of sand in the tank and now there is an average depth of half an inch around the tank... Not good cause I only have one other 50lb bag of sand...
Should I get another bag? 😬

Not a problem, two bags is enough. In my 40g I had about an inch of sand, this tank held my cories. I am a bit surprised that a 50 lb (25 kg up here) bag only made half an inch, but no matter. You could get another bag sometime to have spare, it can come in handy.

Most reactions

trending

Back