Plant Ideas For Smaller Tanks?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Betta_Shark5678

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello!

I have never had live plants before, but I'd like to change all of my plastic plants to live plants. I am getting a 55 gallon tank, and I'm going to have live plants in there, I already know what kinds.

So my question is does anyone have suggestions on plants for smaller tanks? I have one 3.5 gallon tank with a female betta, and a 2.5 gallon with a male. I might be upgrading the 2.5 gallon to a five gallon soon, so I'm not going to buy plants for it until I decide exactly what I'm going to do with it. For the female's tank I was thinking some kind of moss, a java fern, and one or two other plants, I don't know what plants would be small enough, or bettas would like. I'm not sure about what kind of moss either. Any suggestions would be very helpful!!

Thanks! :)

How many watts per gallon does the tank have.
You could keep any type of moss (christmas, java etc)

Java ferns have the potential to grow to a decent size, but should be fine in the 3.5 gallon and 5. (remember that both mosses and java fern have to be attatched to wood or rock, they can't be planted in the substrate):good:

I'm not sure how many watts per gallon. The lighting isn't very good though, it's a light with 10 different color settings, one color is out, and it looks like another is flickering right now.

I have been reading about java fern because I'd like to have a few of them in different tanks, so I will be adding wood for that, and the moss. Are there any easy plants that can be planted in substrate that don't get too tall that you can suggest?

I just looked all of those up, and I really love green cabomba! I was planning on having red, or brown Crypt Wendtii in my big tank when I get it, so I think I'll go with the green cabomba for this one. Thanks for your help :)

i wouldn't worry about wpg on a nano tank, it doesn't really count in nano tanks. Most plants are fine for nanos, even the bigger stems, as they can be cut down to fit.

Most of my nanos have been run on what we would class as low light, and they have grown all sorts of plants.

Okay, I was really confused about the whole watts per gallon at first. I did figure out that the tank has almost 3 wpg, I'm not exactly sure because of the lights that are out.

I have decided on Java fern, Java moss, Anubias Afzelii, and a Green Cabomba, I'll just have to cut them back every once in a while when they get too big. I have a setup plan for the tank now, I am going to change the gravel to sand, then add these plants, some rocks, and a piece of wood to put some of the plants on.

:thanks:

I will deffinitely post pictures! I have it all planned out in my head, let's hope it looks as good when I'm done. :lol: For my other betta I have decided on a 6.6 gallon tank, I'm going to have mostly the same plants in his. I'm so excited to get my new plants!

Both. My lfs only sells java fern, green cabomba, and sometimes java moss. My birthday is coming up though, I know what I'll be asking for :)

I'm in the US, and the only place I know for sure that sells live plants is Petsmart. My local petsmart isn't too bad, the worst fishwise I've seen is a few dead feeder goldfish, but most of the fish are healthy. There are a few locally owned pet stores that I'm going to check out too.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back