Plant Bulbs

Ron

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I bought a vatriaty pack of 5 differnat plant bulbs that you place right in teh subtrate. They were supposed to be 10 inches tall after 15 days, well, its been 30 and not even green. I bought them from Wal Mart :/ ...But they seemed to be great! Any experiance with these. I'd really like them to grow. They were 3 dollars a pack...It sure beats paying 7 dollars per plabt at the LFS!!!!! But if they don't grow.....Any experiance on how to get them to grow?
Ron

Hmmm... I just bought some of those today! The package says to let the bulbs sit on top of the substrate and start rooting BEFORE planting them. You may have put them in upside down :fun: I have read other posts that they work great!

--Tim

Have you put any special stuff to help the growth. whatever you do don't put chemicals while they're still seeds. if they don't grow within another 10 days then take them out with a fishnet and send them to where the packagae says then you'll get better replacements.

Yes, I did put EasyBallance in, made by Tetra. It helps Plants grow, plus many, many other things that are helpful. I'm so mad at myself, that is it then, thats why they didn't grow!! :*) I'm going to wal Mart tomorrow to get some more. Thansk for your help!!
Ron

I also have those bulb plants in all of my tanks, i just thrown them in and within a few days, you will notice there are little shoots off the bottom of the bulb. I wait till then to move them to where i want them. The last few times i bought them and dropped them in, they floated for days, LOL fish though they were toys, but they started to grow, so i forced them to the ground. Good luck. Sandy

Thanks! The only thing that I worry about is that I'm putting them in with my mollie and turtle tank (Don't worry, they get along great, there are plenty of hiding places for the mollies to go, incase of an "attack") Anyways, I would be worried that the turtles owuld start eating the bulbs at the top, (just like everything else in teh tank, gravle, plastic plants, air stones, vitamin blocks for the fish, you name it. But then, of course they don't eat their own, real food) Do you think I could put the bulb in a separate container with the tank water and have them germinate in there? Thanks,
Ron

I am not sure how to tell you to do that, i think they need filtration to grow and not get rotten. Do you have a breeder box or somthing you could hang on the side of the tank to put them in so they dont get eaten? I dont think the turtle would eat them, but i dont have any experience with turtles so i an not sure. My fish in the tanks, try to eat the bulbs, but it has never hurt them or the bulbs, they usually grow even with all of them trying to get them. If you have any problem with them, you could return them to the address on the back of the package and they will send you new ones. Good luck and let us know. Sandy

Great, I never thought of using abreeder net. Yes, I have thousands!!! :D I went out and bout a pack, and I also sent in teh bad ones to get fresh ones. The turtles are trying to get through the nets though!!! :lol: Anyways, I'll let you know when they sprot and when the new ones come in. Thanks!
Ron

Why not try rooting them first in a water container or something...i do this on terrestrial plants and I dont see anything that will prevent you from doing this with these bulbs.....then plant themn after they have rooted wherever you want. This way, the bulbs arent tossed around, esp if you have strong filtration if ever they float....just change the wate everyday so they won't rot.....

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back