Planning a 5 gallon loose betta biotope

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi there. I am planning a 5 gallon southeast asian (mainly focusing on Malaysia) betta biotope and want to make sure this all sounds right.

Tank -
rimless 5.5 gallon

Stock -
1 male betta
maybe some malaysian trumpet snails

Hardscape -
malaysian driftwood

Non-aquatic plants (growing out the top) -
lucky bamboo
golden pothos

Aquatic plants -
crypts (wendtii and lucens)
water wisteria
water sprite
vals
java fern
java moss
dwarf pennywort

I found two sources that said pothos grow in malaysia, so I thought it would be a fun touch! Does anyone know of some good floating plants that fit my biotope? Do I have other snail options? Are there any other plants that fit this? Anything I am missing?

Sounds like a good plan. For floaters, check out Salvinia natans and Asian water grass (Hygroryza aristata). In my experience, the S. natans is easier to grow, and really pretty--one of my favorite plants. Water grass is cool for something different, a bit harder to grow IME and takes up more space.

Pond snails, bladder snails, and ramshorn snails are world-wide in distribution, so it wouldn't be any stretch to include any or all of them.

Sounds like a good plan. For floaters, check out Salvinia natans and Asian water grass (Hygroryza aristata). In my experience, the S. natans is easier to grow, and really pretty--one of my favorite plants. Water grass is cool for something different, a bit harder to grow IME and takes up more space.

Pond snails, bladder snails, and ramshorn snails are world-wide in distribution, so it wouldn't be any stretch to include any or all of them.
Oooooooooooo ok, thank you!

Aquatic plants -
crypts (wendtii and lucens)
water wisteria
water sprite
vals
java fern
java moss
dwarf pennywort
Too many plants for that size tank.

Don't add the snails, they are a pita to control and get into filters and are nothing but problems. There are plenty of other snails that are easier to deal with.

Instead of going for 1 male Betta splendens, how about getting some Betta imbellis?

Too many plants for that size tank.
Too much variety to look nice in such a small space, or they will just take up too much space? I could definitely cut out the java fern, water wisteria, and a crypt, maybe even the dwarf pennywort.
Instead of going for 1 male Betta splendens, how about getting some Betta imbellis?
"some", as in how many? I kind of liked the idea of having just one fish, the male betta splendens.

2 small crypts (wendtii brown)
1 small bunch of water sprite
3 small vals
1 cup java moss
Some dwarf pennywort around the base of the driftwood
3 stems of willow hygro

Would this be better?

Last edited:
Vals and water sprite are going to get awfully big for a 5g. For grassy looking plant that scaled to the tank, check out dwarf sagittaria (not true to your biotope) or Cyperus helferi. For a bushy plant, see if you can find some paddy herb (Limnophila aromatica). It needs plenty of light and does well in shallow water, and it's really pretty. You can usually find some on ebay. I'd offer to send you some if it wouldn't freeze on the way.

Regarding B. imbellis, I wouldn't keep a breeding pair in a 5g. They are much less aggressive than splendens, but I wouldn't call them peaceful, especially when they're breeding. Nothing wrong with one B. splendens if that's what you want.

Regarding B. imbellis, I wouldn't keep a breeding pair in a 5g. They are much less aggressive than splendens, but I wouldn't call them peaceful, especially when they're breeding. Nothing wrong with one B. splendens if that's what you want.
I don’t know much about betta imbellis, but I figured something along those lines. With such a small tank I figured the only thing suitable would be a singe betta splendens..

Vals and water sprite are going to get awfully big for a 5g. For grassy looking plant that scaled to the tank, check out dwarf sagittaria (not true to your biotope) or Cyperus helferi. For a bushy plant, see if you can find some paddy herb (Limnophila aromatica). It needs plenty of light and does well in shallow water, and it's really pretty. You can usually find some on ebay. I'd offer to send you some if it wouldn't freeze on the way.
I will definitely check those out! I was thinking with the vals and water sprite that I could wait he let them grow up and spread over the surface of the tank, or move them to a larger tank if I needed to. Right now they are both itty bitty. I will definitely look at some paddy herb! Thank you

Need opinions. Which piece of driftwood do I use? The branch is manzanita, so not true to my biotope. The other is Malaysian driftwood. Ignore my hand, I was trying to block the light so there wasn’t a ton of glare. It didn’t quite work though lol
C1731B30-756A-446B-8B81-F078B95DBDA6.jpeg
BDBFB7A9-22D6-4598-BD96-7D457445909D.jpeg

I like the branch, and I think a betta would enjoy it, too. I never worry about hardscape being true to biotope, as long as the look is right. My Rio Negro tank has rocky mountain juniper!

You know, you could keep a single Betta imbellis if you like them. Just an idea. I think they're prettier than most of the artificially bred bettas, and they have reasonable fins that aren't always getting shredded on something.

I like the branch, and I think a betta would enjoy it, too. I never worry about hardscape being true to biotope, as long as the look is right. My Rio Negro tank has rocky mountain juniper!

You know, you could keep a single Betta imbellis if you like them. Just an idea. I think they're prettier than most of the artificially bred bettas, and they have reasonable fins that aren't always getting shredded on something.
I like the branch better too… I think I’ll go with that then!

I quite like both types of bettas honestly. I actually already got a male betta splendens. I picked one that didn’t have such extravagant colors and fins, except he has the dumbo fins… oops. He is a nice dusty blue with dusty yellow, not pink like some of those ones you see! And I would never buy a glo betta if you paid me!
68379B6C-DE4B-46AA-B582-ECBD3939169A.jpeg

I like the branch better too… I think I’ll go with that then!

I quite like both types of bettas honestly. I actually already got a male betta splendens. I picked one that didn’t have such extravagant colors and fins, except he has the dumbo fins… oops. He is a nice dusty blue with dusty yellow, not pink like some of those ones you see! And I would never buy a glo betta if you paid me!View attachment 148983
It's been a few months lol.
Any updates?

Need opinions. Which piece of driftwood do I use? The branch is manzanita, so not true to my biotope. The other is Malaysian driftwood. Ignore my hand, I was trying to block the light so there wasn’t a ton of glare. It didn’t quite work though lolView attachment 148980View attachment 148981
Love the blue budgie in the background! Reminds me of one I had name Periwinkle.😊

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back