piranah's!!!!

ste2k3

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
How long has this forum been new world cichlids and piranah's? strange combination. not complaining. ;)

oh well, may as well take advantage of it. :hey: :p has any one kept black piranha with other fish.

I added Piranha's last night. I like keeping Piranhas and wanted to see more talk about them and hoped this would help in that aspect. I guess it could be considered strange but they live in the same waters, does that count? :lol:

I've had a few black rhoms- Serrasalmus rhombeus- but couldn't keep anything with it. They killed everything I tried, even other rhoms. They are definately a solo fish, IME.

lol ste smb was talkin to me about it a few nights ago and I said that it would be cool cause of 2 things the second he mentoioned 1) that he knows the most about P's of anyone here and 2) he mentioined that since the come from the same part of the world and share many of the same water ways it only makes sense to me

no ste you can't keep any other fish with one they will kill it they arn't the most aggro P in the world for any other reason plus they are solitary by nature so cant keep one Black P with another.

Good idea pirhanas are hardly what most people in the characin forum are trying to find out about

David :fish:

david27 said:
Good idea pirhanas are hardly what most people in the characin forum are trying to find out about

David :fish:
Thanks David. That's what I was thinking also.

I don't expect it to be talked about a lot in here, although I would like that, but maybe people will ask questions if they were reminded of it by seeing the name.

Completely illegal to own pirahnas of any sort in australia. You have to have a permit, then you can. :D

what sort of tank/condictions do i need to have for ed bellies sounds like a good new tank all info please as never had before(i know nothin )

ukjay said:
what sort of tank/condictions do i need to have for ed bellies sounds like a good new tank all info please as never had before(i know nothin )
You could have a 55g and keep 3 rbp's in it for life. 75g-4 rbp's for life.

Red-belly piranhas are the easiest fish to care for, imo, and probably the best starter fish you can get.

When smaller, feed 3 times a day with veggie flakes,cichlid flakes, krill, brine shrimp, bloodworms, peas, live fish etc and when they get to about 4" feed once a day for a month or so and then move to 3-4 times a week with larger meals.

Temp- 80F good filtration with a LOT of current as this makes them stronger and more active also.

Water params- VERY easy. just use the same water params as where you got them from. I've only ever used tap water, no adjustments necessary.

They like floating plants and caves aren't important at all. They don't usually use caves and like being out in the open or underneath plants and logs.

Dither fish are good to have when you first get them. I keep danios as dithers and as a more active fish, I have a M. chipokae in there also and as long as I keep them fed, they won't kill him.

Never hand feed your p's or let them associate your hand with food. If they do and you go to clean, they'll bite you. They are extremely quick and can be on one side of the tank and can take off and they're soooo quick you won't even see them move to the other side. Large rbp's can sever fingers in one bite from what I've heard.

thanks a lot for that smb sounds like lots of goos reasons to get me self some fish friends :kana: :cool:

It is. :nod:

You won't regret it. If you have any questions please ask. :)

My mother had a Piranah way back when. I never liked it, all it did was float around doing absolutely nothing until it was fed, then it ripped the feeders into pieces and caused a heck of a mess in the tank. Then there was the time the divider shifted while she wasscrubbing the glass and it attacked her arm :blink:

Ever since then I've had no urge to own them.

Maybe if she had a community instead of just one they would have been a little more active??

(btw, the fate of that piranah was suicide - jumped out of the tank and behind the TV, not discovered until too late)

That's pretty much what piranhas do. If you had a P. natt then that would explain it more also. Most Pygos like to be in shoals and they are more active but others like Serrasalmus rhombeus are loners and kill everything in their tanks, even other rhoms. I've heard of single rbp's acting like tankbusters and slamming into the glass to get at something but IME at least, this is definately not the norm. In my 17 years having them, I would say 75% are like you described.

Having said that and seeing your post, I wouldn't think it mattered how many or what species of piranha you got, you wouldn't like it. It's not for everyone as we all have different likes/dislikes. :)

You can get some very aggro ones that will attack you just by putting your hand in the tank. That's scary.

Most reactions

Back