Pictus Cats 125G Biotope

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Pictuscats

Reaction score
We've been out of the Aquarium hobby for about 12 years as we lived in rental properties that were not conducive to the water issues or weight.
We know own our home and can do what we please :)
It started back up with some journeys through the Facebook marketplace and the purchase of 3 tanks (10, 20 and a 29) for $25. Now the addiction is starting to set back in. One of the wifes coworkers had a tank that needed to be removed from his parents house ... yup I'm on it unknown of the stats. Introducing the tank in my pics, 125 gallons of bedroom beauty. I have been remodeling what was a garage into a master suite planning for tanks and had built piers under the floor to hold a tank in excess of 200 gallons but this just happened kinda quick. It came with some more fake hardscape and other odds and ends that are hidden away in boxes for the kiddos tanks down the road .. yeah I hate fake lol. But for the price I had a water tight 125 and stand. But now its on hold.
Enter the next marketplace find, 3 more tanks 29 with stand, 37 and a 40 long. These had been running literally until I picked them up and came with everything still wet, filters, media, gravel and 4 convict cichlids ... parts enough to setup up the 29 so in they went knowing it wouldn't last they just needed to not kill each other long enough to put something else together. 2 days later we hit up the local Petsense, unfortunately no good LFS near us. We found a fair deal on a 65 gallon tank with stand and thankfully I had started stocking up on amazon deals .. 2 Emperor 350s with used water and media from other tank, some cycle helper and we got it up and running quick as the fighting had started, but it cost my 125 its spot in the bedroom and off to the living room it went. This was all a good thing as it forced me to slow down and go through the tank and stand a bit more, resealing corners, painting one end and back black and beefing up the single 2x4 frame on the stand with doubles and refacing the paneling.
The goal is a Orinoco or basic South American planted biotope.
My fish plans ..
pictus cats prolly 4 maybe 6 lol idk and a couple cool looking plecs hoping for 3 depending on my choices.

My filter plans..
Marineland Emperor 350 x2 current planning to drop one to another tank for a Fluval FX4 cannister

My plant plans ... TBD with DIY CO2
Setup as dirted tank with Black Diamond Blasting sand, hence the slight cloudiness and floaters in the tank.

My light plans ..
Starting with simple LEDs but upgrading to Fluval Aquasky potential x4 36"

In the right side cabinet will be a 10 gallon quarantine tank for acclimation purposes.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20210519_174137.jpg
    20210519_174137.jpg