Picking Up Driftwood

The ultimate aim of this wood is to put it in a fishtank as decoration in a restaurant..... Now if this is what it does to the water,... I don't think the owner will be happy??... How long is it before it stops discolouring the water, or will it just continue doing so???

adding a Carbon filled filter you your tank, will greatly speed up the removal of the tannins

If you want the wood without the colour, fake wood is the only guarantee but I think it looks rubbish personally!!

Probably just me but I like the colour the water goes, much more natural, but I can appreciate ine diners don't want to be sat in a restaurant watching a tank watching tea-stained water!!!! :lol:

If you want the wood without the colour, fake wood is the only guarantee but I think it looks rubbish personally!!

Probably just me but I like the colour the water goes, much more natural, but I can appreciate ine diners don't want to be sat in a restaurant watching a tank watching tea-stained water!!!! :lol:

It is currently so dark in there, you cannot see a fish.... I'll have to water change tomorrow....

It is currently so dark in there, you cannot see a fish.... I'll have to water change tomorrow....

i take it you didn't soak the wood first?
weigh it down in a bucket or two and constantly add and replenish boiling water over the course of a day, then leave it for another few days and the effects on your tank water should then be minimal

Thanks for the advice Davo.... If it was obtained for my own purposes, I would've welcomed the effects, but as I said,... This is for a display tank in a restaurant... not acceptable... (but I'll try it in any case)

Thanks for the advice Davo.... If it was obtained for my own purposes, I would've welcomed the effects, but as I said,... This is for a display tank in a restaurant... not acceptable... (but I'll try it in any case)

no probs, also as boboboy said above any excess tanins that do enter the tank afterwards will quickly be removed via any carbon in the filters

Just crossed the bridge over the river again this afternoon and picked up this piece of driftwood.... Uncanny how much it resembles a scorpion.... The best use for it however is upside down... to form an arch... But, nevertheless.... agood find.
Scorpion008.jpg

Scorpion003.jpg

Do you not having laws on removing wood etc from the wild life? I'm pretty sure that would be illegal in the UK.

Any chance you have any pictures of what the river looked like or the surrounding area?

Do you not having laws on removing wood etc from the wild life? I'm pretty sure that would be illegal in the UK.

Any chance you have any pictures of what the river looked like or the surrounding area?
there is no such laws in the US. along the rivers and streams, driftwood is everywhere! unless in a nature park or similar where there are rules on the property. in "nature" its fair game.
cheers

Yes... In fact... somewhere, I have a topic on just that... collecting Driftwood from the river... I'll look it up and post a link here... I don't think it is illegal here though.

Hah!!.. here you are... this is where I collected the driftwood... actually a "spinoff" of this very topic.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/268489-spinoff-from-the-driftwood/page__view__findpost__p__2224430__fromsearch__1

Most reactions

Back