Picked This Up At The Weekend

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Now you two have got me worried :crazy: i spent ages watching for it to open its mouth so i could count the teeth and i'm sure there is only one set.

Oh well if it grows past 3 feet i'll know i'm in trouble :lol:

TBH honest when I saw it I thought gator gar but thought that you wouldnt of bought one. I made the same mistake and bought a gator gar thinking it was a spotted a while ago it was cane that told me it was a gator.

Picture878.jpg

Picture875.jpg

:lol: look at it trying to swallow that SD, like a dog with a frisbee.

Mine has more spots on the pectoral and ventral fins from what i can tell. Whats funny is i can't find any pictures on the internet of juvinile alligator gars or any gars between 10 inches and under 2 feet for that matter, which is very odd, what happens to all these little gar?.

I do know that mine looks nothing like the ones Wildwoods had in last year, they were a greeny/yellow colour with far less spots and no spots on the pectoral and ventral fins at all.

I dont know if its good news or bad news mate but that gar is of alligator variety. Now do you want me to bring the charcoal and you supply the matches or are you going to see how big you can get that child eating monster.

Yeah i saw the thread on MFK but i'm still not convinced its a true gator gar, i had a flick through some gator threads and it still doesnt look like other gators. I guess we'll just see how it goes and grows, at the moment its nursing a ripped tail where it got on the wrong side of my Trachycorystes.

Heres another pic

gar.jpg

when you get a proper look i bet it has 2 rows of teeth
the snout and eyes are all wrong for a spotted gar

Yeah i've pretty much given into the fact that i'm gonna need a large pool for this thing, next summer i'll start work on a 16x8x4 concrete form pond with an insulated shed built over the top. I figure if i use the pool as sump by extending the pipe work off the 900g and then filter the water off the pond and pump it back to the tank I won't be adding to my electric bill and i get another 3700g of water.

You make me sick CFC.......... thats being polite too............;)

Yeah i've pretty much given into the fact that i'm gonna need a large pool for this thing, next summer i'll start work on a 16x8x4 concrete form pond with an insulated shed built over the top. I figure if i use the pool as sump by extending the pipe work off the 900g and then filter the water off the pond and pump it back to the tank I won't be adding to my electric bill and i get another 3700g of water.

You could construct it so that a large algae turf scrubber plumbs from the 900 into the pool, thus helping you out massively.

Or consider a roof mounted ATS (potentially in addition to the standard one), thus allowing the sun (in summer) to be your light source in the summer months.

And 16x8x4?

Come one, give it an extra foot in width and height, then you can consider a RTC! ;) You know you want to!

And finally, you simply have to let me come and help on a build like this :D

Can I be thick and ask how big this thing will grow? They are selling a little alligator gar at my LFS and was just wondering.... not for me but Id hate to see someone buy it for a 6 foot tank cuz the workers there told me it would grow to about a metre.

Typical length for a captive aligator gar is about 4 foot (1.2m) but they can grow up to 12 feet in the wild.

Kewskills :p I said i was thinking of building an extension on the fish house.

Andy of course you will be helping (along with anyone else I can rope in for digging and barrowing stuff in and out). My plan is to dig down about 2.5 feet and lay a 6" concrete slab down on some 4" polystyrene and then cast the pool sides out of concrete on top with re inforcing bars fixed through the slab, basicly building a swimming pool. Then its just a few coats of pond paint over the top and job done.

The plan filtration wise is that by fitting a clear plastic roof (tripple wall polycarbide roofing sheets which keep the heat in) i can utilise natural sunlight to grow floating plants in the pool which will soak up nitrates like a sponge as well as creating a swampy enviroment for the gar. To ensure that the pond building stays warm i'll fit an extractor into the wall of the fish house to blow warm air into the pond building so it doesn't require any additional heating either.
The only thing that is going to cost me anything is the concrete, roofing sheets and insulation, everything else will be "borrowed" from work.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back