Picked This Up At The Weekend

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You wouldn't be able to handle her, she's very high maintenance ;)

They didn't, it went in a poly box

Nice fish, Dean.
Just spotted the sponge filter in the corner and was wondering whether it was particularly beneficial in the tank?

Nice fish, Dean.
Just spotted the sponge filter in the corner and was wondering whether it was particularly beneficial in the tank?

There are two of those filters in the tank placed at opposite ends and one of which is a double model. They are rated at filtering 500 litres per sponge so all together with 75lph of air pushed through them they provide enough filtration for 1500 litres of water which is ample for the 800 litre tank, though i do have a Eheim 2217 filled with sponge and Alfagrog running on it as well for mechanical and increased load biological filtration.

I run the big Huey Hung sponge filters on all my larger tanks (apart from the 900g of course) and have found them to be excellent.

What are you going to do with that thing once it reaches it's huge size, CFC? I know you have a big tank, but that's going to be one hell of a fish, if I recognize it correctly.

Gorgeous though. They had some juvies around here a while back and they were awesome to watch hovering around. :)

Spotted gars have an optimum wild size of about 4 feet so for a captive fish i'd not expect much more than half that size, which gives an estimated length of 30 inches or so which isn't so bad, and if it does get bigger than that i'll have to build an extension on the fish house so i can fit a bigger tank in.

Spotted gars have an optimum wild size of about 4 feet so for a captive fish i'd not expect much more than half that size, which gives an estimated length of 30 inches or so which isn't so bad, and if it does get bigger than that i'll have to build an extension on the fish house so i can fit a bigger tank in.

Lets just hope you do have to extend the fish house, merely for our entertainment and benefit :drool: :drool:

Nice pick up, should be interesting when it gets past 24" haha.

Ah, ok. I thought they got bigger than that, but I am really not an expert on gars. :p

How are the pacman cats? :D

I was just wondering a couple of things..

Is a fish like that dangerous?
Do you have to be careful when putting hands in the tank (or dont you put hand in?)
How much does a fish like that cost?

I think its a very nice fish, but i dont think i would ever be able to cope with a tank the size needed for such fish (space wise).

ps, i use them sponge filter for all my tanks, they are great dont ya think? (cheaper as well to just run off air pumps)

Most reactions

trending

Back