Photos in thread not loading.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

306694966_3259582334355802_2803923235006359391_n.jpg

No-one else is having problems with photos not loading. They load fine for me - including all the camping photos. That does strongly suggest that the problem is at your end @PheonixKingZ not at the forum's end.

No-one else is having problems with photos not loading. They load fine for me - including all the camping photos. That does strongly suggest that the problem is at your end @PheonixKingZ not at the forum's end.
Interesting.

Whenever that has happened on forums which I was involved with building in the past, I have always suggested that the member clears the cache and cookies on their phone before uploading images to the site or uploading images from their phone to a tablet/laptop/desktop first and then to the site - clearing cache and cookies on the website also helps too as that can cause images to hang/delay/fail upload

It is quite surprising how many people clear their cache and cookies on their tablets, laptops and desktops but never their phones.

Another aspect of this issue was that people onboard ships, out hiking or camping miles from anywhere would suffer speed drop or total internet connection drop on their phones which stalled uploading to sites like this one. We had a cruising forum, a hiking & camping forum and it was a regular thing that members uploaded images and they were invisible or showed as a broken image. Being a long way from signal towers, being at sea using ship's satellite wifi or having a localised tower out of action for maintenence or failure can affect the upload ability of images, especially when those images are huge and have not been automatically resized by the phone before upload.

Yet another issue can be the failure to resize images onto a forum that has no upper limit on image size or a limit that is excessively high. It can cause drop out and upload failure by virtue that the servers simply cannot handle it anymore from specific users who have a history of uploading images that are not resized.....each and every image a member uploads is held on that users site data, just as every single word typed. Xenforo software does not allow anything to be deleted, it is all stored and the admin can set a maximum data limit. When you reach that data limit, your images stop showing up, not sure if this site has reached the data limit or if it has been specifically set per user but it might be why images are not showing, the admin/site builder would know. Which is why resizing or using the thumbnail setting is always better.

There seems to be something missing here.

A media gallery add-on, which is readily available via Xenforo (who supply the licences/software for this and thousands of other sites)

Instead of loading images to threads, members can have their own gallery where images can be uploaded in larger numbers and the site itself will automatically resize.

The media gallery is able to handle the full range of media sources including MP3, MP4, standard video (thus no need for external site uploads such as YT) and normal photographs. Usually run on seperate server bank so it doesn't drain the main site server bank. A link to the add-on would be placed onto the site header which users can click to open the gallery and upload. Moderators can remove anything that contravenes the rules, admin can set the size limit of all images and videos.

Might be something to consider doing perhaps, especially if limited on server availability.

There seems to be something missing here.

A media gallery add-on, which is readily available via Xenforo (who supply the licences/software for this and thousands of other sites)

Instead of loading images to threads, members can have their own gallery where images can be uploaded in larger numbers and the site itself will automatically resize.

The media gallery is able to handle the full range of media sources including MP3, MP4, standard video (thus no need for external site uploads such as YT) and normal photographs. Usually run on seperate server bank so it doesn't drain the main site server bank. A link to the add-on would be placed onto e site header which users can click to open the gallery and upload. Moderators can remove anything that contravenes the rules, admin can set the size limit of all images and videos.

Might be something to consider doing perhaps, especially if limited on server availability.

Some photos are loading now, interesting. It probably was the camping trip I went on and the time that my phone wasn't connected to any cell towers. Same thing happened after I got back from the cruise.

the website isn't accepting the images coz they are kinky fish pics, you know the kind, fins and high heels, scales n tails, etc.

Some photos are loading now, interesting. It probably was the camping trip I went on and the time that my phone wasn't connected to any cell towers. Same thing happened after I got back from the cruise.
That sounds very much like what members of the hiking, camping and cruising forums that I was in charge of were experiencing

Image hanging thanks to drops or slowdowns due to distances from towers and dodgy ship's wifi.

The only suggestion I had then and it might help now, is to store the images on the phone (or camera) then upload to your home use device, then upload to the site. Doing the uploading at home rather than "out in the field" is less likely to suffer data hangs since the tower at home is usually stronger and more efficient/not so liable to drop out or slow down.

Most reactions

Back