phosphate

suemack

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi - got this test kit from LFS today (on special and I had some credit) to test phosphate in my tanks - have never tested before - my readings were real high. Ammonia, nitrite readings are nil, ph is 6.5 - do very frequent w/c as I have guppy babies and tanks get a bit crowded at times. I'm confused as all the fish seem to be thriving - how does phosphate affect them - how do I get the levels down - do I need to worry - could it be affected by my water supply (rain water) -

Phosphate can come from food, additives to the tank,decaying matter and waste from fish in the tank.

Be sure your not over feeding as a lot of commercial food products contian phosphate.

I've heard that old carbon can leech phosphate back into the aquarium. I've also heard that carbon doesn't leech anything back into the water and I'm no scientist so can't tell you for sure one way or the other but thought I'd give you the info to do with as you choose.

Fish in an overloaded tank will produce phosphate.

What was your reading?

A lot of drinking water is contaminated with phosphate, particularly if you live in a farming area. The concentration of phosphate that is considered safe for human health is not necessarily the concentration your poor fish can cope with! So test your drinking water and do report it to the water company if you're not happy with it.

thanks guys - the water in my tanks is rain water off the roof - am on tank supply. It tests out as just below 7 ph and almost negligable hardness - ph drops extremely rapidly if I don't add any cichlid mix and Bullseye 7 when doing w/c. Have just tested the tap water and there is a slight to moderate level present. :( All the fish seem healthy - guppies breeding prolifically, cories laying eggs on the glass - I just dunno !!!

It could be from the waste...maybe a bit of food. Tap water and rain water is all crappy due to pollution. Before adding the water it should rest over night in a bucket. ;)

suemack said:
thanks guys - the water in my tanks is rain water off the roof - am on tank supply. It tests out as just below 7 ph and almost negligable hardness - ph drops extremely rapidly if I don't add any cichlid mix and Bullseye 7 when doing w/c. Have just tested the tap water and there is a slight to moderate level present. :( All the fish seem healthy - guppies breeding prolifically, cories laying eggs on the glass - I just dunno !!!
I think I read somewhere that RO water for Discus and alike is low in pH and needs aerating before use - this helps return the pH back to neutral. I think rainwater can be low in 02 too so try aerating your water to maintain a comfortable pH.

My pH is more stable when I have my powerhead and an air stone pumping air into the water, but I use dechlorinated tap water.

I also use a product called Green-X (Hagen) which helps reduce phosphate/nitrite/nitrate from water (mainly because of an algea problem). It comes in a large tea bag type packet and can be added as the final stage of external filtration or put directly in the tank by an outlet. Don't put it by an inlet as the bacteria in your filter require nitrite (NO2 - which is of course oxidised to NO3).

Most reactions

Back