Ph Query

lizc

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
84
Reaction score
0
Points
6
Location
nr Oxford, UK
Hi all, can anyone help?

I'm having "issues" with pH in my newest tank & am worried its affecting the fish.

Tank Details:
AquaOne AR-510 (75L), Dribble bar type integral filter (don't know tech name!), 100W heater.
Very fine, rounded black gravel, 1 fake piece of wood, 3 small plants, 3 handfuls of river pebbles, 3 large-ish black rocks.

Fishless cycle completed after 60 days(!). During which pH ranged 7.8 to 8.2 (don't know why I didn't suss the difference from my tap water BEFORE adding fish :rolleyes: )
4 days ago I bought 6 Tiger Danios & 4 Peppered Cories, acclimated over 40 min or so.

Current stats: (API Master test)
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 15ppm
Temp 25C
pH keeps going back to 8.2
(tap water pH 7.0)

I have done a few water changes to try to change pH to nearer tap level but each time the pH goes back up again within a few hours. I have remove the "big black rocks" & gravel vac'ed, but it still goes up again.

My peppered cories are not too happy at the moment & I don't know if it's likned to the pH as I haven't managed to find a recommended pH for them.
2 days ago a couple of them just kept floating around but now they are all sitting on the bottom looking very listless & refusing to eat anything (& getting stuck to filter intake if they get too close).
No red bits or rapid breathing, fins ok, barbels ok, possibly slightly bulgy eyes (not sure as never had cories before).


Also, the danios are active and eating very well, but a couple have white protrusions from their lip, which I presume to be "mouth fungus"? (Sorry, can't upload pics ATM, will google it ASAP)

I have treated the tank once with Interpet No. 5 Liquisil General Tonic (2 days ago)
In the cupboard I have: No.9 Anti internal bacteria (got it today as i heard this is a problem with cories), No 8 Anti fungus & finrot (& No 7 Anti slime & velvet)

Soooo.......my queries are:

do I need to lower the pH (&if so what's the best way?!)
& what do I treat first: possible internal bacteria (cories) or possible mouth fungus (danios)???


As you can probably tell, I'm in a bit of a muddle now!
Any suggestions greatfully received.
Many thanks in advance.


Liz
:unsure:
 
It sounds as if something is driving up the pH since your tap water comes out at 7 (either that or there is alot of co2 in your tap water.)

I would be more worried about having a steady pH than a correct pH. Most fish will adapt to a pH outside their normal range. For example: discus perfer a soft acidic water but they can be kept in hard slightly alkaline water. They adapt to the higher pH.

As far as tracking down what is causing your pH to rise, all you need to do is take a suspected object (or gravel) and place it in a bucket overnight with some tap water. Test the pH before you add the item, and test again 24 hours later. If the pH has risen then you have one of the culprits.
 
I'd do those bucket tests like robby is talking about to track down the culprits. Do one also where you just put tap water in the bucket/jar over some time and take periodic tests. Sometimes (rarely) water companies will put things in that cause these types of effects.

~~waterdrop~~
 
:) many thanks for the replies drobbyb and waterdrop, I will definitely try that test when I get home from work tonight.


Liz
 
Latest stats:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
Temp 25C
pH 8.2


...sorry for the delay, I tried the "rocks in a bucket test" for 24hrs, each type in a separate bucket & one of just water...
ALL pH went up the same amount, to about 7.8 over 24hrs, so could it be something in my water? it goes through a household watersoftener. Will have to check pH of unsoftened water.

My main tank (125L -see sig for details) also varies in pH quite drastically when I do a WC, only just started paying close attention to all these details & testing water pre & post WC to notice it.
Will this pH change be affecting my fish do you think?

I think the AquaOne tank had other issues & I've not helped myself or my fishes much :-( , put in some anti fungus & finrot to cure the danios mouths 1st (not that I don't love the cories, but danios were a bit expensive), with the notion that I'd treat the cories after a week & a 30%WC...
...never got that far, morning after adding the anti F&F 4DEAD DANIOS :-( :-( :-( :-(
and another one the day after :-(
and have since lost 4 cories.

LESSON LEARNT, don't dose for an illness/ disease unless you're pretty sure you know what it is or you risk making the situation worse, fish + chemicals = not good I think.

So all that's left in my tank for now are: 1 lonely Tiger Danio & 2 rather sorry looking Peppered Cories (they don't move much & I haven't seen them feeding, but no physical symptoms)

Will have to get them all some new companions of their own species once things calm down a bit in there water-wise.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions they'd be greatfully received, otherwise I'm going for the wait & see (&keep my fingers tightly crossed) method.

Cheers

Liz
 

Most reactions

Back
Top